defender 200tdi conversion and 24v ffr alternator

g7jwr

Hi.

I have a second (12v) alternator to fit on my 200tdi engine to charge the auxiliary battery. I've used a second Lucas A127 unit, the same as my "main" alternator.

It will sit on top of the timing cover, on the platform where the original Discovery air-coditioning pump would have sat.

I think you'd maybe struggle for space to fit the original FFR alternator, but you should easily get a 24v version of the A127 from a lorry breakers - Daf 45 trucks use them IIRC.

Are you going fully 24v? If so have you got a 24v starter motor? If Half-and-half, are you going to have three batteries? (one to start, the other two paired for the 24v bits).

Just wondered what the reason is for keeping the 24v - just curiosity. In my experience, neither voltage is "better", but there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Once I've got some pictures of mine I'll post them for you.

All the best, Glen.

• 1 month later...

Hi Glen

i want to keep the l/r with two independent systems as the vehicle is still fitted out with clansman radio, any ideas where to get a bracket??

and yes your correct the old alternator is to big to sit on top of the timing cover now it hits the bonnet and the old bracket will not line up