WW1 FWD restoration

The restoration of our FWD was finished about 10 years ago. I have not posted many pictures of it as i would need to scan them all. i will get round to doing it one day. Anyway in the meantime we noticed that the Prop Shaft on the FWD had worked slightly loose towards the end of last season - nothing had been done to remedy that since then but it was time to get a grip of the problem now with the Honiton Hill Rally coming up again. The FWD has not been out since last August.

A simple problem to resolve but difficult to get at! We wanted to get it outside the shed for more room - the FWD started easily on the 3rd or 4th pull - first time that has been started up for nearly a year and Steve drove it out on to the Drive where we had more room to get at it. The prop shaft pulls up on a tapered shaft with a keyway and is locked in position with a large nut. Steve identified that the nut had come to the end of the thread before it was really tight, and he has simply put a washer under the nut so that it can be really tightened against it before coming to the end of the thread. Seems fine now.

Lorry started easily again so that it could be reversed back into the shed.

DSCN4768.jpg

DSCN4769.jpg

DSCN4770.jpg

DSCN4771.jpg