Oil Help

LoggyDriver

Just been down to Oakes Farmpower and bought 20 litres of gear oil for the Bedford.

Before I put it in I'd like to know if the oil would be OK?

I can't find EP90 ANYWHERE. So I've had to settle for SAE 80W/ 90 API GL5. It's MIL-L-2105D, ZF TE-ML 05A 07A, NH 520 A spec.

It's called Ambra Hypoide 90 and it's made by Petronas Lubricants for New Holland.

It says; "Transmission and gear oil with extreme pressure (EP) characteristics for hypoid gear and final drives of tractors and other agricultural machinery".

My question is will this be safe to use in my Bedford MJ gearbox, as it's supposed to be OEP220, which is E.P.90

Thanks

Hi Loggy.

We use FUCHS Titan HYP 90 = 80w90 heavy duty transmission oil.

Spec. API GL5

MIL-L-2105B TO MIL-L-2105D

CS3000B

Just my opinion.

The specs are the same as yours. so i can't see a problem with it. We use this in the scammells, Unipowers, and bedford mj's that we service and had no problems.

Available from most Unipart motor factors.

Hope this helps.

Clive

My question is will this be safe to use in my Bedford MJ gearbox, as it's supposed to be OEP220, which is E.P.90

Thanks

Loggy,

Are you sure the gearbox has OEP220 ? I would have serviced numerous ones in service, and I thought the gearbox had a SAE50 monograde engine oil, OMD330 if I recall. As it is a synchro box, hypoid/EP type oils inhibit the synchro action. I do not have a servicing schedule to hand, but maybe there has been a change since 1996.

Thank you very much for the replies guys.

Richard, the Maintenance schedule, 3rd edition 2000 states OEP 220 for Manual Gearbox (above -15 deg C) and Transfer Box. For temperatures below - 15 deg C, OEP 38 is to be used.

I've just had the back plate off the main gearbox to replace the Output Shaft Oil Seal. When I got the plate off the seal was spinning inside the housing, so that must have been the reason for the oil leak I had on it.

I ordered the parts yesterday and they were delivered at 08:30 this morning. Excellent service from Bedford Parts. I even ordered Rocol anti scuff paste for the seal (as mentioned in the repair schedule) which i went to pick up from Buck and Hickman in Newbury this morning. Again, overnight service.

Clive,

As this oil I've bought is for Tractors, it should be pretty hard wearing stuff. I wasn't sure about it as it never had EP before the grade, even though it states it has EP characteristics and is for Hypoid gears.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest guys. The proof will be in the driving as I'm off to Trucks and Troops tomorrow. Touch wood it will be OK. The job itself is easy, the hardest part is getting the new seal in level and flush. I used a Land Rover Hub Nut socket, which was exactly the right fit over the seal.:-)

Cheers guys.

Thank you very much for the replies guys.

Richard, the Maintenance schedule, 3rd edition 2000 states OEP 220 for Manual Gearbox (above -15 deg C) and Transfer Box. For temperatures below - 15 deg C, OEP 38 is to be used.

Ah, my guess is that the Army spec. has been changed because OMD330 had been discontinued, it was an oil used in some stationary engines as well as Bedford gearboxes.

Just looked at Bedford's own manual for M type transmissions and they specified a straight SAE90 gear oil (not a hypoid or extreme pressure type), probably for the reasons I explained. They did specify Hypoid / EP90 type for the axles though.

Hi Richard,

It's strange that Bedford Trucks have specified an SAE90 NON Hypoid gear oil for the main Gearbox and yet the Army have stated the use of OEP220? I wonder why the Army have deviated from the manufacturers specified oil? Maybe Hypoid oil has better heat characteristics and is better at a wider range of temperatures?

I've gone back to the Maintenance Schedule a half dozen times to check and re-check to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Off hand can you remember if there are any bronze bushes inside the gearbox? I read somewhere that Hypoid oil isn't any good if there are bronze bushes present.

Cheers

Andy

It's strange that Bedford Trucks have specified an SAE90 NON Hypoid gear oil for the main Gearbox and yet the Army have stated the use of OEP220? I wonder why the Army have deviated from the manufacturers specified oil? Maybe Hypoid oil has better heat characteristics and is better at a wider range of temperatures?

I've gone back to the Maintenance Schedule a half dozen times to check and re-check to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Off hand can you remember if there are any bronze bushes inside the gearbox? I read somewhere that Hypoid oil isn't any good if there are bronze bushes present.

Hi Andy,

At one time, EP gear oils were not "yellow metal friendly" and bedford boxes having bronze bushings in the gears, this is likely why they only specified a Straight 90 gear oil.The army did not have that grade in the inventory, so substituted it with Straight 50 engine oil ( the viscosity is nearly identical as gear and engine oils are worked out differently). It may be that in the late 1990's, the OEP220 spec was changed to a GL rating that was compatible with yellow metals. I would tend not to use extreme pressure gear oils in a synchro box as it inhibits the braking action of the baulk rings, this is why Jeep gearboxes perform better with a Straight 90 gear oil, rather than an EP90.

I know the RL, MK and MJ were using OMD330 in gearboxes, but not sure when they might have changed.

Yes there are some bronze bushes in the gears.

regards, Richard

Richard,

Having looked at your post I'm considering changing the oil I've put in for a straight gear oil that is compatible for bronze bushings.

I've been looking at the Morris Lube site and they have these three oils available. Can you have a look at the figures in the "Technical data" section when you click on one of the products and let me know which one would suit my gearbox the best?

Cheers

Andy

http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=115

Richard,

Having looked at your post I'm considering changing the oil I've put in for a straight gear oil that is compatible for bronze bushings.

I've been looking at the Morris Lube site and they have these three oils available. Can you have a look at the figures in the "Technical data" section when you click on one of the products and let me know which one would suit my gearbox the best?

Andy,

I would say Morris AG90 is the one to use. I just checked Bedford gearbox manual again, and the Shell oil recommended is Dentax 90, check out the info sheet on that linked here, it seems to be identical to AG90 ;

http://www.mil-specproducts.com/documents/710_PDS-DENTAX%20GEAR%20OIL%2080W90.pdf

regards, Richard