Commer Q4 bleed nipples

mister-socks

Question

Hi All,

Ive been incredibly lazy and not done anything on my poor old Q4 for a year, but a spell of sunny weather and a friend who's a lorry fitter has kick-started a new found flurry of activity :D

Its running again and the transfer box is free so I've turned my attention to the brakes.

I'm probably doing something very stupid but I thought I'd run it past you chaps in case somethings amiss.

I've filled the master cylinder and tried to bleed the brakes. Ive taken out each bleed nipple and cleaned them, then replaced them and tried to bleed the system. I can get fluid to come out of each nipple, but when I do them back up and depress the brake pedal, fluid still comes out of the end of the nipples as if they're still undone.

Is it something stupid like too much dirt behind the seating face of the nipples, or have the wrong nipples been fitted in the past? The bleed nipples screw all the way in to the wheel cylinders, and the master cylinder was empty when I got the truck.

Any advice would be very greatly received, to get it driving and stopping properly would be a real bonus!

Thanks in advance.

Rich

3 answers to this question

Hi there,

I think that the bleed nipples are the 'normal' type, a big hole at the top of the nipple, and a very small one at the bootom of the thread on the chamfered face, i'll try and get some pics up tomorrow if that helps. The one thing that seemed a bit odd is that the nipples can be screwed all the way down the thread by hand, almost as if the threaded shaft of the nipple is too short for the cylinder?

Cheers

Rich

Spot the poindexter :embarrassed:

Yes the bleed nipples do have ball bearings. Why did I bother tracking down a workshop manual for my Q4 if I never read it.........

System all bled, but after stripping,cleaning and re-building the m/cyl, new seals are required.

If anybody needs brake hydraulic parts, give Paul Hunt at http://www.powertrackbrakes.co.uk a shout. Not only did he know what a Q4 was, he knew what other vehicles shared its master cylinder. A repair kit on the shelf as well!

As soon as the truck can stop as well as go, its dropside body off and on with the wire brushing, sanding, welding and painting

Cheers

Rich