Ward LaFrance in REME colours

I've just received the following request via email from a modeller in Germany ...

I forward my enquiry as I’m a modeller interested in British Army vehicles of World War 2. Having built the Ward LaFrance M1A1 wrecker in 1/35 by Accurate Armour, I’d like to mark it as a vehicle of one of the REME LAD attached to an Armoured Regiment. As I added a ring mount with an .50 cal M2 HB to the model I would like to find reference of M1A1 wreckers under REME management with the ring mount installed.

Any advice in respect of reference is highly appreciated. Thank you for your endeavors.

Hauke Krapf: H.Krapf_M4@t-online.de

Can anyone help with information or provide links for further research?

Nick.

Hi Nick.

I suggest you contact Tootallmike on this one as his M1A1 is marked up as belonging to REME. I would imagine he can give you further info.

The REME museum has a Ward La France in it's collection.

http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/vehicles/wrv/vehlafra.htm

The Ward is a M1 model but there is further information on REME use of Ward La France.

Regards

Markheliops

I may be able to help you there. I very recently had the opportunity of visiting the Reserve Collection of the REME Museum which is located at SEME Bordon to photograph the entire collection - had free run of the place, lucky me! Unfortunately the Ward La France was rather tucked away in a corner but I did manage to get a shot of it from the other angle to that on their website, so it shows the markings on the other side of the vehicle. Give me a few days and it will be up on my website (museums section) and I'll be posting a few images of the vehicles held there on here as a taster.