Reo front axle

Degsy

Started today on replacing inner axle oil seal on drivers side. Got it all stripped down and cleaned up, horrendous mess, gear oil mixed with grease. Fitted new inner oil seal,new axle boot also fitted although previous owner had just fitted new boots he hadn't done the job properly and both sides were hanging off. Bearings etc cleaned up ok , regreased and refitted along with new hub seal, will finish off rebuilding tomorrow AM and then start on fitting new boot on passenger side, maybe then start to look at replacing a transfer box seal and a diff seal. Didn't take any pics as too covered in sh1t but a friend took some on his phone so might be able to post some in a day or two if he can send them to me.

sounds good degsy any chance you can do mine next please,thought the last owner was a mechanic ???

I wouldn't fancy starting the job again Mark but we went into it 'blind', never worked on a Reo before so it was a big learning curve. The last owner who you know told me he was a mechanic but then again he also said the truck was perfect and needed nothing doing to it. I think I am now fortunate to have found a guy who works for the American Army along with his mate, they go all over the world repairing vehicles. These days they mainly work on armoured vehicles but they claim to have had much experience on Reos in the past and have offered to go over the truck for me and repair as necessary, so now just a question of them having a look over it and taking it from there.

Incidentally have you got rear hub seals in stock, outer seal is Pt No 7061238 and inner seal is10896684 and a hub gasket Pt No 7521787, I know I will need these but will contact you again if I need further parts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...