LARKSPUR WS B44 MK2 VALVE WIRELESS SET - Info please

Majortom

Hi to all,

Just bought this LARKSPUR WS B44 MK2 VALVE WIRELESS SET of Ebay for display

At the top R.H. corner there are 2 holes one above the other & the casing is cut away in a half round shape above the holes Should the arial housing fit there the cut out in the caseing is to allow for the antenna to remain upright whilest connected - of am I off track with my reasoning

Just submitted this post looked on Ebay & theres one for sale c/w its tripod I can see from the photo on there what should go in the 2 holes but still don't know what the fitment is for. - Cheers Colyn

Larkspur 1.jpg

Edited by Majortom
additional info

The fitting is for the vertical rod aerial.

The set was for Light Anti-Aircraft (40mm Bofors) fire control, and is VHF AM with different

receive and transmit frequencies, crystal controlled. Two aerial types were used - a two section screw-together whip and a dipole aerial with mounting for a tree or wooden post which connected to the set via a coaxial cable to the socket on the RHS of the set below the missing piece. The set was powered from a pair of standard 6V 40AH in series for 12V and sat on top of a tripod so it could be positioned next to the gun.

After they went out of service they were used to provide communications in Cyprus during the civil war there.

I am currently gutting a B44 Mk.3 which uses the same ceramic fitting, so it's yours if you want it. (The white knob on the front panel looks suspiciously unoriginal.)

The WS19 group has a full set of documentation for this set,if you need that, but if it's the one off ePay I think it's too far gone to restore to original function.

Chris.

Feetnote: the set is usually found fitted "upside down" in the case, as the tripod mounting prevents it from sitting flat on a table. The mount _should_ be on the underside.

Hi Chris

Yes that would be great if you have all the correct arial fittings to go in these 2 holes & if you happen to have 3 screw on covers to fit the 3 sockets on the front thats the next thing I was going to start to look for. If as you say the white button looks wrong if you have whatever should be in its place that would be nice also. At least if I have all the right bits fitted if by any chance i look into seeing if it will work everythings there & correct

I will happily pay you for these bits & of course the postage so see what you have & let me know the cost - Many thanks cheers colyn

Hi Chris

Yes that would be great if you have all the correct arial fittings to go in these 2 holes & if you happen to have 3 screw on covers to fit the 3 sockets on the front thats the next thing I was going to start to look for. If as you say the white button looks wrong if you have whatever should be in its place that would be nice also. At least if I have all the right bits fitted if by any chance i look into seeing if it will work everythings there & correct

(FX: looks on ePay)

Yikes! It's not worth that much...

Okay: you need the aerial base, a desiccator to replace that red light (and hope the previous owner didn't bore the thread out), and another fuseholder to replace the white knob (ditto about the hole, but I reckon the fuseholder is much bigger than whatever is on the end of the knob).

I suspect you'll get a "display only" refurb out of it, because I reckon the RF section has been stripped out - there should be a diecast box behind the aerial base,and I think it had gone in the ePay photographs.

Chris.

Hi again

yes your right the rf section is missing I'll have a look in more detail at it tomorrow especially if the hole for the fuse & the red light have been enlarged if the have may as well leave whats there alone as bits from yours won't fit anymore - cheers colyn