Hi - I'm Roger Ward.

Live in Brighton and I am part of a ten year project in Jordan investigating the activities of Lawrence of Arabia and the Great Arab Revolt. On that team I am Head of Survey (which means I am the lead metal detectorist) and I also make a blog of our activities each season live from the desert. Anyone who is interested can find out about the project by looking at last season's blog and associated links, which are here:

http://garp-2013.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/day-1-new-site-in-far-southern.html

I have joined this site because we have found some bits and pieces relating to the Rolls Royce Armoured cars used by Lawrence - the so called "Rubies of the desert", and I was hoping for some help in perhaps identifying these. :)

Hi - I'm Roger Ward.

Live in Brighton and I am part of a ten year project in Jordan investigating the activities of Lawrence of Arabia and the Great Arab Revolt. On that team I am Head of Survey (which means I am the lead metal detectorist) and I also make a blog of our activities each season live from the desert.

Welcome along! That sounds like a very intersting project!

Greetings Roger & certainly an interesting project you are running.

As a detectorist myself, I wonder what sort of depths you can achieve in such dry sand for small objects (coins, bullets etc) My Crown Estates Permit limits me to foreshore detecting, which inevitably means a high proportion of wet sand that I think enhances the presence of a target. I have never detected (although many do) in totally dry sand, so wonder what depths can be achieved.

I wonder what sort of machine you use? I don't know how the sites change with the winds in uncovering things, so do you have keep going over places time after time?