Pig Steering Box and Hub End

poppypiesdad

Question

Hi all again, going over the pig today,

And on the offside bonnet flap it says:-

Steering Box OC600,

So looked up Clives fluid thing and it says:-

OC-600 O-208 DEF STAN 91-65/1 Gear oil compounded. Mineral oil 94%, Rape seed oil 6% eg steering box Humber FV1600

What do I use , do I make it myself , or just use Oil like 10w30 and the next thing that's doing my head in WHERE DOES IT GO ??????? :nut:

And before I refill my hubs and tracta joint ,I'm I right in saying that the Joint gets SAE90 and the hub gets 10w30 oil ?

Not put anything in it yet just to check

Your help will be appreciated

Jamie

2 answers to this question

The modern equivalent to OC600 is SAE140, pretty thick stuff, however, you dont need alot of it in the steering box, and would cost a bit of money to have alot of oil for only one small application, so i filled mine with a mix of EP90 and bearing grease, stir it together until you have a mix that pours like treacle, then on top of the steering box, you will find a filler plug, unscrew and fill, works a treat in my steering box, made it feel a little lighter.

The inner and outer hubs i filled both with EP90, without referring to the book i think it specs the same for ins and outs, although last time i topped up i used EP80/90, i dont think it is super critical, the main thing is you arent pumping grease into them.

While you are looking at levels, make sure the diffs and transfer box are topped up, again EP90 or as clive found using a slightly thinner EP80/90 in the transfer box, his was foaming up and blowing out of the breather.

And very basic SAE30 Engine oil for the gearbox, without the detergent, which is what was originally specified for the engine (OMD110).

Im going to stick some Molyslip into the drivetrain at some point, i had an old series 3 landy which i dropped out the old lube, filled with fresh and it was still a bit thrashy whiney, although better than before, then i put Moly slip into it and it really quitened down (for a Land Rover, its all relative!) so im hoping it will have a similiar result for the Pig.

Sounds like you are getting on OK with your beast :)