Introduction

gazzabadshot

Hello , i am Gary and on searching for information on a simca unic im thinking of buying i came across your interesting site.

I thought the vehicle would be unheard of, but you have a fair bit of info on it

I need a vehicle for a gun bus ,Just got to decide whether to buy it or not ,it hasn't run for 18 months

Gaz

Gary

You can get most of the manuals in French in PDF form from tm-ww2.com in France. I can supply some documentation that came from other sources that I am free to share, if you need them. The engine has much in common with the post-1948 4.2l V8 US Ford Flatheads and the carburettors are Zenith 32NDIX also found in early Porsches - so a lot of spares can be sourced in the USA. Braking system is Bendix air-over-oil (so it will work without air but is hard work) and some parts are apparently the same as the Reo M35. Tyres are 10.5R20 - get Uniroyals or Continentals if replacing, as the Michelin ZXLs deteriorate in storage. Things to check are:

1) Carburettor - usually needs rebuild - runs too rich if accellerator pump piston has perished

2) Brakes - usually seals go in wheel cylinders - they are an inch size roughly 34.5mm. Check brake fluid level as it will be drained if this has happened.

3) Brake light switch - it's hydraulically operated on the back end of the air-driven slave cylinder mounted on the left side of the chassis. Best replaced with a switch operated by the pedal

4) Air system - should get to 8 bar indicated in a minute or so after starting the engine and hold air for 4 or 5 brake applications after a week - check pressure via safety valves under cylinder

5) Hand brakes - these are shoes operating on a drum at the back of the transfer box. If left on they wear rapidly and need adjusting - the heat can also boil the oil in the transfer box which blows out through the seals where the input drive shaft enters - look for large amounts of oil blown back onto the rear axle if this has happened. I fitted a warning switch and light on the hand brake lever.

6) track rod ends and connections between steering rods

All of these are relatively easily fixed.

I have one running (but in need of work) and one spares donor which was partially converted to a diesel engine in need of new homes if you are interested, See my other posts on here for details.

Regards

Iain

Hi Iain , sorry about your having to sell your stuff , quite a lot of gear for the money although carriage cost could be a problem , i guess.

The guy selling Simca Sumb MH600BS 18311 wants £500 for it , it was mot'd and running up till xmas 2014 with a carb problem (which i think you have explained earlier) as a beaters wagon.

Do you or anybody else think thats its worth ? , the door bottoms were rotten , but no chassis rot that i could see.

All glass and lights were good , tarp on cab roof and lorry back complete although leaking .