Early Denim windproof smock

gunner501

A very nice example, and early date (Oct 41).........I recently sold one of these, just as nice, and a huge size too.......

These were the very first pattern of this type of smock, made from 41 - 42-ish in drab denim with matching trousers, and intended for mountain troops to wear in "cold, snow-less conditions".......the labeling can be a bit vague or ambiguous though, and you can find 'em labelled as shown, or "Smock, Snow", "Smocks, Drab", "Blouses", "Smock", etc........

The lightweight sand version replaced these from 42 onward, although the labeling remained similarly vague, and the cammo and heavyweight white colour snow oversmock both introduced from around 43 onward......

A very nice example, and early date (Oct 41).........I recently sold one of these, just as nice, and a huge size too.......

These were the very first pattern of this type of smock, made from 41 - 42-ish in drab denim with matching trousers, and intended for mountain troops to wear in "cold, snow-less conditions".......the labeling can be a bit vague or ambiguous though, and you can find 'em labelled as shown, or "Smock, Snow", "Smocks, Drab", "Blouses", "Smock", etc........

The lightweight sand version replaced these from 42 onward, although the labeling remained similarly vague, and the cammo and heavyweight white colour snow oversmock both introduced from around 43 onward......[/quote

Great info thanks Steve . I would guess the denim material was not so windproof and would have stayed wet a lot

longer .The labeling as you say Steve is confusing ,I think it is because we now assume the snow wording must mean camouflage ,but then they were thinking of the enviorment it would be used in ,Was there any snow specific camo ie white garment/s at this early stage ?

The lightweight sand version replaced these from 42 onward, although the labeling remained similarly vague, and the cammo and heavyweight white colour snow oversmock both introduced from around 43 onward......[/quote

Great info thanks Steve . I would guess the denim material was not so windproof and would have stayed wet a lot

longer .The labeling as you say Steve is confusing ,I think it is because we now assume the snow wording must mean camouflage ,but then they were thinking of the enviorment it would be used in ,Was there any snow specific camo ie white garment/s at this early stage ?

Not certain about any pre-42-43 snow-cammo garments, but I would assume local improvisation was the order of the day ! Seems the later heavy snow cammo windproofs were supplemented by 44 by a simplified lightweight oversmock and trousers, lacking pockets, etc.......but the usage of the earlier garments right up to the end of the war suggests that large stocks were still available for issue........:D

• 5 weeks later...

Not certain about any pre-42-43 snow-cammo garments, but I would assume local improvisation was the order of the day ! Seems the later heavy snow cammo windproofs were supplemented by 44 by a simplified lightweight oversmock and trousers, lacking pockets, etc.......but the usage of the earlier garments right up to the end of the war suggests that large stocks were still available for issue........:D

hi there ... would there be any of these denim fabric for sale , as i m looking to complete my collection , i m also looking for the sas sbs canoeist smock ,, as i would pay good money for ,, please let me no if possible thanx matt

hi there ... would there be any of these denim fabric for sale , as i m looking to complete my collection , i m also looking for the sas sbs canoeist smock ,, as i would pay good money for ,, please let me no if possible thanx matt

Might have a spare drab denim one Matt but no SBS type............bear with me....need to check exactly what I have....