1950s Korean-era Cammo British Parka

wdbikemad

Years ago now, I acquired a 1950's era British parka.........it was an experimental garment, and of "pullover" design with hood and 3/4 length...........it was made from windproof cotton-gabardine and of double-thickness, cammo on the outside and white on the inner, hence reversible.........it was noticeably lighter than the standard "middle parka" of the time......

Like a complete buffoon, I let it go.......but, somewhere, I do have a photo or two of the garment..........

The strange thing was, the cammo print was in the usual green and brown, BUT, in a different pattern more akin to "splodges" rather than "paintbrush strokes" as seen on the windproofs, Denison, etc........and the shade was rather dark......experimental ? I think so...........I have recently found a large piece of windproof fabric in cotton-gabardine, and printed in the same cammo pattern and colour..........once I get the camera up and running I will post a photo........

I have only ever seen such a similar cammo print on the wartime SOE canvas jump-suit.....and this pattern looks to be a derivative albeit in a different fabric.........

I have seen the odd "rumour" about Korean-era British "cammo" parkas and always thought they were a possible confusion with troops wearing an oversized hooded windproof.......perhaps not....? :undecided:

005.jpgNot the world's greatest images, but this is the post-war cammo cotton-gabardine windproof fabric sample I have, that the parka was made from.........note the plain brown-colour fabric reverse side............and the "splodge" pattern rather than "brushstrokes"...........only ever seen similar ('though not identical) on wartime SOE jumpsuits (these being made in a heavy cotton-duck, not gabardine)........

003.jpg

004.jpg