OUR LITTLE FRIENDS - Wartime Weekend

M5Clive

USAAF Station 104, Hardwick, Norfolk, NR35 2BG ~ Friday 15th, Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th July 2011

Renown warbird operator and restorer Maurice Hammond and myself have teamed up this year to bring you a new event to the show diary - The 'Our Little Friends' wartime weekend.

Based at Maurice Hammond's private airstrip in Norfolk, this event will be a must for anyone with a keen interest in the USAAF and Eighth Air Force in East Anglia.

Camping space and vehicle attendance is limited due to space constraints on-site so please accept that due to the nature of this period themed event, preference will be given to suitably marked USAAF vehicles and unfortunately MV's not of the era will not be eligible to attend the event. Camping will be from Friday midday thru Sunday by prior booking only.

Friday Evening - 'The Eighth Air Force Experience' ~ Feature Presentation.

This is a 2.5 hour interactive presentation I have prepared on my iMac detailing the story of the USAAF in East Anglia from the construction of the wartime airfields to the departure of the USAAF in July 1945, right up to present links with the USAF today. This presentation uses archive photographs, wartime 8mm colour movie film and the creators 20 years of USAAF knowledge to entertain you throughout the evening - All staged in an aircraft hangar.

Saturday Day - Bolero Convoy

Ed Abbott of (Operation Bolero, Route to Victory & Gathering of Eagles fame) will map us out a picturesque route around the region taking in much of the Eighth Air Force's history and is (hoped) to include delivering the convoy to a reunion of WWII USAAF flyers visiting Suffolk from the US the same weekend. Watch this space for updates.

Saturday Evening - Our Little Friends Hangar Dance

Turning back the clock to the 1940's, you can dance the night away in an original wartime hangar to the sight and sound of the Big Band era with the Jonathan Wyatt Big Band, with an array of USAAF warbirds as a back drop as the sun goes down.

Sunday - Museum Open Day & Warbird Fly-In

The 93rd Bomb Group museum's annual open day will coincide with a fly-in of WWII warbirds including the two resident P-51 Mustang's of Maurice Hammond's and many other invited aircraft. It is hoped that a USAAF reenactment display around the aircraft and vehicles can be staged if enough interest is forthcoming.

Going to Beltring the following week? Why not break your journey in Norfolk before heading down South for all the mud and dust sandwiches.

All enquiries to Clive D Stevens - 01379 871020 - clivestevens17@yahoo.co.uk

Nb - Both Evening events are by ticket only with all monies raised throughout the entire weekend going towards Cancer Research. This is a not for profit operation and both myself, Maurice Hammond, Ed Abbott and all the helpers on the day are donating our services free of charge.

These Big Bands and thirsty aeroplanes are ever so expensive to run Jimmy..................

fortunately for us then is that we are in the midst of such fantastically generous and wealthy people who never tire of selflessley giving up there time and effort towards providing us all with fantastic events in locations of wartime interest of which we can immerse ourselves at the pleasure of all.:D

again clive if there is anything i can do.....

I take it 9th AAF (391st BG/573BS) marked WC51 would be ok? Sounds like a very tempting event to come to. I've just confirmed both of Maurice's P-51s for both days at the Essex MVT annual event at Damyns Hall, which will be a highlight of the weekend for me, aswell as Sally B or course!

I take it 9th AAF (391st BG/573BS) marked WC51 would be ok? Sounds like a very tempting event to come to. I've just confirmed both of Maurice's P-51s for both days at the Essex MVT annual event at Damyns Hall, which will be a highlight of the weekend for me, aswell as Sally B or course!

Hi Chris

Tony (NOS) did tell me that you were looking for some heavy metal for a show in Essex, but I didn't realise it was Damyns Hall. Thats a good bash and I've enjoyed it on the past two occasions i've been. I missed last years show cos I was in Detroit flying in a formation of 17's that same weekend, but if you come to 'Little Friends' i'll be showing the air-air video I shot from the flight deck of 381st BG's Yankee Lady.

Of course you will be welcome in the WC51 - I love a nice Weappie with bar treads and good markings!