Rusty Tank

raf753

When I was in Spain at Puerto Santa Maria near Cadiz , I drove into the area of Los Pueblos (the white villages ).

There I came upon an abandoned military camp with the gate guardian still in place , albeit rusty .

It looked like a Vickers light tank , but was almost certainly ex Russian .

Anybody know of it ?

I'm still trying to find the photos I took .

The local police let me off with a caution over a cervesa--don't ask !!!!!!!

Mike xraf

Hi Mike,

There are quite a few remaining T-26's acting as gate guardians all over Spain. Franco's army used them up until 1953, apparently.

Quote from Wiki:

"Ultimately, the Soviet Union provided a total of 281 T-26 mod. 1933 tanks which were used by the Republicans in almost all battles of the Spanish Civil War (very many sources state that a total of 297 T-26 tanks were delivered to Spain but this amount most probably includes the first planned delivery of 15 T-26 on 26 September 1936).[37]"

I've read somewhere that 1 or 2 privately owned T-26's are under restoration. Haven't heard anything about this/these T-26's for quite a while. I suppose finding parts for these tanks must be close to impossible.

The Finns captured a bunch of T-26's from the Russkies during the winter war. There are a number shown at the Parola Tank Museum in Finland. Most of them are in running order, as far as I know.

Do look for those photographs, looking forward to seeing them.

Enclosing a picture of a T26 (1935 model) used as a gate guardian at the military base "General Menacho" in Badajoz (Picture found on the Internet)

I'd love to own one, they're small enough to transport with a moderately sized truck/lorry, like the M3 and M5 Stuart.

Live well-and prosper.

Goran N

Lidingo

Sweden

T-26-mod-1935_Spain_pic-off-Internet.jpg

Hi Mike. Your lucky with the police in cadiz thay are a right pain in the A$$. Glad i'm back in the uk now. 3 1/2 years is just to long but some realy nice people there. I'll have a word with my friend who is still out there because I remember him saying about the tank.

Clive