After having a total lack of air pressure in the system following a test drive once the rebuilt gearbox & refurbished clutch pack had been fitted I decided to call in Dr Air Brake from Wolverhampton. They traced the lack of air to a defective diaphragm in a valve just forward of the second axle. There was a wiring fault to the main gauge. Both of these were repaired and refitted.
I then decided to go for a test drive and this time the back axle did not drag, gear changes nice and smooth too. On returning to base I thought I'd try operating the crane as it hadn't moved for a year. As I came to use the lever to move the main boom up & down, nothing happened except a large gush of hydraulic fluid from under the back deck below the spare wheel. It must have dropped about 6 litres of oil.
After this my Dad & I went round and sorted out several air leaks pictured below; union to bottom of footbrake valve, n/s outer air tank union, n/s inner union & one below the tyre inflator. There is one on a relay valve with some form of filter or
breather on it which I cannot tighten yet.
I rang an old work contact, a hydraulic firm called Tidyco in Derby - cheaper alternative to Pirtek, who attended this morning. A forklift had to be used to remove the spare wheel from the back deck (crane usually does this) then the fitter could get to & find the ruptured pipe to replace it, I will try and get photos of this.