Third Time Lucky?

Steve King

Hi All,

I purchased a military Land Rover from Withams some three years ago. While I was there I saw a couple of Hagglunds bv206 and thought I'd find out more about them. After some research and a test drive I was ready to bid on the one in the next tender. It turned out to be a good machine and I had a lot of fun with it both on- and off-road, as well as in the River Great Ouse and the Cam in Cambridge. (Check out 'Hagglunds makes waves' on YouTube).

The bv206 was good but rather slow in the water and so I purchased an Alvis Stalwart that was a runner, and almost a swimmer. I did a lot of work on it but didn't get it finished before I had to leave the barn I'd paid to use for the whole of the year, and there the restoration stopped.

After a poor season on my river trip boat I sold all three of the vehicles late in 2008, turning a small 'profit' on the first two, only to lose it on the third.

While collecting a radiator for the Stalwart I had come upon a BRDM-2 and after I found out more about them I came to the conclusion that this vehicle could be my ultimate amphibian. Fast on the road, good off-road, and with decent speed in the water. I have recently purchased one from Duncan Nicholson ('Tanks for Sale'). It will need the engine sorting (overheated) and the steering column lengthening before I can drive it (I'm 6ft 4in) but I'm looking forward to taking delivery and getting work started on it soon.

Steve King