FV432 / Radio Distribution Box / Charging Batteries

I was wondering if the FV432 radio batteries, when on exercise, were man enough to power the Clansman 321/ 353's radios ?

I believe the batteries need to be 18v for the vehicle to be able to charge them when in situ, also was the radio distribution box adequate ?.

I am asking as my Clansman 321 does seem to draw a lot of power, is there anyone on here that remembers using the radio's in service and their experience's using the radio's in the FV432.

Many thanks

Richard

The battery voltage should not be allowed to go below 10.8 volts for the UK06TNMF units (so 21.6 volts for the pair(s)) or you risk permanent damage. (As far as I'm aware.)

I don't have any vehicles, but do have a selection of manuals. :-)

I'll see what I can find on the various 430 series radio fit(s).

Chris.

Hi Chris

Many thanks, I am just curious, as to how the radio batteries, Radio Distribution box, coped with the clansman radio's, on exercise.

I did wonder if they charged the radio batteries in situ at all, in the field, and if so, how?, or did they just swop the batteries over...

I do turn on the radio distribution box  , linking the automotive batteries, when starting , which seems to help with starting, and I believe this is recommended in the manuals. 

Richard

They must charge the radio batteries in the field, same as the vehicle battery. The FFR Land Rover had two 12 volt UK06TNMF (110 amp hour capacity)  batteries to supply the vehicle, and the "Unitary Radio Station" (battery box and table, etc.) in the back had another two (or four) of those batteries to power the radio kit. I suspect the single radio (VRC353 with or without a removable manpack set) would only need a single pair, but the more complex installations (multiple vehicle sets, rebroadcast stations) would need two sets of batteries. They would all need regular charging, either off the vehicle alternator or an external charging set (the army had mostly dispensed with separate generators for radio kit when Clansman came in - apart from the high power sets which needed AC mains and had trailered (lorry) or roof-mounted (FV430 series) generators.

5 hours ago, Chris Suslowicz said:

They must charge the radio batteries in the field, same as the vehicle battery. The FFR Land Rover had two 12 volt UK06TNMF (110 amp hour capacity)  batteries to supply the vehicle, and the "Unitary Radio Station" (battery box and table, etc.) in the back had another two (or four) of those batteries to power the radio kit. I suspect the single radio (VRC353 with or without a removable manpack set) would only need a single pair, but the more complex installations (multiple vehicle sets, rebroadcast stations) would need two sets of batteries. They would all need regular charging, either off the vehicle alternator or an external charging set (the army had mostly dispensed with separate generators for radio kit when Clansman came in - apart from the high power sets which needed AC mains and had trailered (lorry) or roof-mounted (FV430 series) generators.

Thank you Chris,

I think my VRC-321 draws 5amps LP TX to 8amps HP TX , so I need two well charged 110ah batteries, DC input 20 to 32v allowed.

I am going to have to maintain the batteries better over the winter period.

Richard

If you're using the Hawker (Enersys) UK06TNMF batteries (the UK military standard as far as I'm aware), they should be OK once charged for at least 6 months - assuming there's nothing drawing power. One thing to check (I remember reading this) is the 432's fire detection system: this is still active with everything turned off unless you disconnect its power cable.

The batteries should NOT be allowed to discharge below 10.8 volts (per 12 volt unit) but can be safely left on charge at 13.8 volts indefinitely to maintain them at full charge. There are various "pulse chargers" and "traction chargers" that can also be used to keep them in good condition. (If you can't charge a 12 volt battery above 10.8 volts it's got a dead cell and is almost certainly unrecoverable.) Be careful when working with those batteries: the short-circuit current can be around 5,000 amps which will easily weld tools, start fires, or do other damage (including damage to the battery itself).

Best regards,

Chris.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chris Suslowicz said:

If you're using the Hawker (Enersys) UK06TNMF batteries (the UK military standard as far as I'm aware), they should be OK once charged for at least 6 months - assuming there's nothing drawing power. One thing to check (I remember reading this) is the 432's fire detection system: this is still active with everything turned off unless you disconnect its power cable.

The batteries should NOT be allowed to discharge below 10.8 volts (per 12 volt unit) but can be safely left on charge at 13.8 volts indefinitely to maintain them at full charge. There are various "pulse chargers" and "traction chargers" that can also be used to keep them in good condition. (If you can't charge a 12 volt battery above 10.8 volts it's got a dead cell and is almost certainly unrecoverable.) Be careful when working with those batteries: the short-circuit current can be around 5,000 amps which will easily weld tools, start fires, or do other damage (including damage to the battery itself).

Best regards,

Chris.

Hi Chris

Many thanks, that all makes sense, I have pulled fuse ' C ' if I remember which stopped the fire wire alarm from working, only after your good advice, maybe I should unbolt the connection.

Did you send an attachment ?, ( File ), only I was unable to open it.

Richard

1 minute ago, Richardfv432 said:

Hi Chris

Many thanks, that all makes sense, I have pulled fuse ' C ' if I remember which stopped the fire wire alarm from working, only after your good advice, maybe I should unbolt the connection.

Did you send an attachment ?, ( File ), only I was unable to open it.

Richard

Hi Chris

Sorry my mistake, I have managed to open the file now.

Thank you for your help.

Richard