Raf fire vehicles.

dambuster617

Gentleman, i am a new member with an interest in RAF Vehicles and in particular Fire/Crash Vehicles the RAF have employed over the years. I am currently researching a specific vehicle with a view to producing a model not only for my own collection but also to release commercially. The problem i currently have relates to dimensions. The vehicle is the Runway Foam Layer the RAF used in the sixties/seventies. I have the AP on this vehicle which suggests the tank was 47ft long. But it is not clear if this measurement includes the tow bar?

It may seem an obvious question but i am uncertain when these APs are written in regard to "towed trailers"

are the dimensions quoted always inclusive of the tow bar which if misunderstood could quite easily result in a in accurate model being produced. I would also be interested in any photos particularly in colour. Photos in my possesion suggests they were painted in a variety of schemes subject to theartre and time scale. RAF Blue Grey with Yellow tops would appear to be the initial scheme, followed by overall yellow, green with the yellow stripes for the mid seventies and possibly a red/white chequer pattern similar to runway control caravans again with a yellow top.

Heres hoping an eagle eyed RAF MT enthusiast may spot and be able to help.