West Freugh Test & Evaluation Establishment

snowtracdave

Do any of you chaps have any knowledge of this place - I know it was used as a bomb testing range by the RAF but that's about all . This is the place where my Snowtrac spent one it's tours of duty & I was wondering if anybody has any memories of the place or my ST being there .

It also did two tours somewhere in Wales but I can't find that info at the moment .

Thanks

Dave

Done part of an S.F. exercise at West Freugh, started off at RAF Boscombe Down, then flew our LandRover & Trailers up to West Freugh, working on TCW with TACATC putting in temporary comms and helping with the MOSKIT, which was a temporary airfield lighting kit, mounted in a Sankey Comms type trailer, complete with VASI'S and runway lights etc.

As i remember it was very cold and wet, but our billet in the overnight crew accomodation in the control tower was great as opposed to some rough looking leaky hangars across the way!

Unfortunately (probably more like fortunately!), i didn't see a snowtrac while we were there, did have fun driving around with NVG's on the airfield, and flying up to the Oban area in a Lynx, hedgehopping in the dark to set up a temporary strip so a Hercules could drop off an SOV with some sinister characters to carry out a mission! :-)