Amsterdam Liberated (1945) -=Nice vehicles=-

I know the Dutch living in the north of Holland had to wait a long time to be liberated and I know they were grateful for the food drops from Allied aircraft. I met a Dutch lady a few years ago at the RAF Museum who came over to help keep the Lancaster in good shape. She said she wanted to help in memory of the crews who risked their lives dropping food in day light over Holland.

Incidentally which month was Amsterdam liberated?

Even later, it took until May 8th for the allies to reach Amsterdam.

I was going on the date given by a lady who was there and watched the tanks drive past her window and isn't Liberation Day celebrated on the 5th:confused:

Yeah it was, the Germans surrendered on the 5th but then the Allies were still 60+km from Amsterdam on the other side of strong German positions or across the river from the Germans depending on the location.

Not that many allied soldiers fancied taking risks when the fighting was finally over so it took a while before they got going and could drive to Amsterdam. Add to it that they were welcomed like this in every city, town, village or hamlet they passed through it took quite a while to reach Amsterdam. The islands in the "Waddenzee" in the extreme north of the Netherlands (east of the North Sea) were not liberated until june.

I can see now why the confusion arises perhaps she lived in a suburb that was occupied by the Allies on the 5th or perhaps she just assumes that because Liberation Day is celebrated on the 5th that must have been the date she saw the tanks go past.