Spotted today....

Richard Farrant

Spotted a very nice looking CET parked up in the front vehicle park of Ashcurch yesterday.

Was surprised to see it, especially in "just refurbished" state, though the MOD had got rid of them all.

Surprised, there are still around 90 of the original 144 still in service... have you seen an operational Terrier yet ? that is what will replace it when they can get the thing to work !

MW with wooden body but no rear tilt, on the back of a lorry going west on the A14 near Thrapston. It looked tidy from the glimpse I saw & a CVRT also on the back of a waggon heading north on the M6. Also a bunch of Hagglund bv206s in a yard on the A38.

Hi Chris,

Relatively empty! :undecided::-D. If I remember right dad and I talked to you at W & P a few years ago about buying a CVR(T), well finally that goal has been reached. Everything on it is pretty good, the pictures don't do it justice. Having a few problems with its running at the moment, doesn't seem to want to idle. Runs beautifully when on the main carb jet. I cleaned the fuel filter out yesterday and as you'd expect that had a load of 'gunge' in. So that would suggest the idle jet is blocked. Have you ever worked on the carb on yours without taking the top plate off?

Best regards, Lewis

Hi Lewis,

The Spartan is well known for having problems with the fuel system. The 400litre tank is expensive to keep full and you get a lot of water in there from condensation. Ours also had about an inch of sand in the bottom. After spending a lot of time trying to clean it we gave up and just run from jerry cans, using the adaptors for generator sets. The plan is to fit a smaller fuel tank, as most other people seem to do.

You can get the carb off without taking to top deck off, but to be honest it's not too difficult to lift the decking off. The first thing I'd do though is put a new set of RSN12Y spark plugs in it. The J60 seems to be very plug sensitive and I've cured running problems on a few with a new set of plugs.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Thanks a great deal for that Chris, I noticed when I took the filter off, the fuel wasn't exactly what you'd call clear. A new set of plugs will definitely be on the list. Hopefully in the next few days we can do a little work to her, I'll let you know how we get on.

Best regards, Lewis

Lewis

Seriously nice looking vehicle, if the pics don't do it justice then it must be really good - certainly puts my old shed to shame !

One suggestion made to me was to put paraffin into the fuel tank - seemingly it absorbs any water present. Sounds like your problem may be more to do with foreign matter though.

My Spartan came out in 2004 and I've never put fuel in it - just starting to sound a bit rough now though so probably need to sort it this year..!

Timbo

Hi Lewis,

The Spartan is well known for having problems with the fuel system. The 400litre tank is expensive to keep full and you get a lot of water in there from condensation. Ours also had about an inch of sand in the bottom. After spending a lot of time trying to clean it we gave up and just run from jerry cans, using the adaptors for generator sets. The plan is to fit a smaller fuel tank, as most other people seem to do.

You can get the carb off without taking to top deck off, but to be honest it's not too difficult to lift the decking off. The first thing I'd do though is put a new set of RSN12Y spark plugs in it. The J60 seems to be very plug sensitive and I've cured running problems on a few with a new set of plugs.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Isnt the Spartan fuel filler recessed into the top of the hull? ISTR we always had problem with Spartans collecting crud on the roof which made its way into the filler and with the best will in the world, the filter didn't and we'd need the fuel system cleaned out again.

Thanks Timbo, as my dad said, once you reach his age you don't want to be crawling underneath vehicles restoring them before you can enjoy them. May as well buy a good one and go straight out and enjoy it. Personally I just think he's a bit soft :-D.

Alien, that's a very good point. It is indeed. The stuff in our filter was a grease-like orange muck. Makes me think that it's sat without any petrol in for a long time and what was left in there has dried up? Unfortunately I can't get up to the unit today but I'll see if Bannister's have any plugs. To be honest two jerrycans into a tank full of fumes isn't enough anyway.

Best regards, Lewis

Not 'spotted today', and this might not be in the right thread, but I saw this on another website for Hot Rods called 'Rods and Sods' it was in a thread on the Chelsea cruise. I imagine from the 1980's.

Someone might recognise their jeep in the right side of the photo'

Jeff

13124b0d1f81c5e40[