Spotted today....

Richard Farrant

Saw a Leyland Hippo on a low loader heading north on the M5 between Weston Super Mare and Taunton this afternoon.

Ah the same truck is now residing in Bolton, it now belongs to the owner of the transport company who were moving it. It will be at Wickstead MVT national show.

Followed a GMC 353 heading south on the A50, it turned right into Alsager village. It looked absolutely magnificent, it could have just rolled off the production line.

That could well be the one which is now in the motor clinic Stoke with a broken rear axle tie rod which I saw on Saturday, nicely painted but zero evidence of esential maintenance. If VOSA saw that truck they would reinstate testing for all vehicles !

Call in and have a look Ray

Not today, but Thursday a convoy of desert coloured open cab'd Landrovers quite well modified.

They were east-bound on the A120 between Stansted and Gt Dunmow (maybe going to Carver Barracks?).

Quite interesting to see the different array of headgear and goggles being worn by the drivers and passengers. Drivers seemed to be wearing desert goggles and passenger motorcycle helmets.

That could well be the one which is now in the motor clinic Stoke with a broken rear axle tie rod which I saw on Saturday, nicely painted but zero evidence of esential maintenance. If VOSA saw that truck they would reinstate testing for all vehicles !

Call in and have a look Ray

That is one of the reasons that we are introducing maintenance classes at our monthly meetings, particularly during the winter months when we have little or no show related business to conduct. Then it will be up to our safety officers to ensure that that acquired knowledge is being implimented, Its not just a matter of complying with the law, its very much about responsibility for what really is a privilage, not a right to use the public highway. Its now more important than ever that we ALL adopt the correct attitude to our responsibilities, making the task of the appointed safety officer(s) more vital than ever. I would like to think that the MVT would be viewed by the authorities as leaders in that responsibility.

A12 this morning near witham heading (North) colchester bound a jeep and bantam trailer with a canvas raised top on the trailer. is the owner on here???or known??? I am interested in making a similar option to carry more kit.

I think there must have been a show fairly locally to Ipswich & Colchester - I followed 2 very nice jeeps up the A137 from Brantham to the A14 at about 8.30am today and saw another coming on to the A12 at the Martlesham Black Tiles roundabout a few minutes later - this afternoon I passed a convoy of 2 x CCKW and several Dodge WC trucks going north on the A14 as well. I wonder if anyone knows what I missed so I can put it in next year's diary?

Iain

• 2 weeks later...
About 8am, a gorgeous, shiney lorry on the A17 heading towards Newark. Not much good at ID-ing these, but looked like a Matador with an extra axle & on steroids!

Mint!

Sounds like a Militant or Hippo to me but could have been the 6 wheel AEC Type 0854 Fuel Bowser used by the RAF, maybe with a different body.

[h=1][/h]

Sounds like a Militant or Hippo to me but could have been the 6 wheel AEC Type 0854 Fuel Bowser used by the RAF, maybe with a different body.

Would tie in with the AEC Rally taking place at Newark over the weekend.

there I was today showing my mate my bofors and pointing it upwards to the shy, when blow me, over the rooftops comes this apache style helicopter. Anyway it was really really low because the clouds were also low, I suddenly realised that my gun was pointing straight at it and to my amazement the pilot was looking straight down at us. ! I don't know who was the more surprised me or him. What else could we do other than wave frantically like a pair of schoolgirls !

Also seen today on civvy transporters on the M25 around J18 clockwise a pair of Foxhounds and a Panther. Been a busy day for the military. 2 B/D vans on the M4 w/b near Reading also saw a what I think was a Humber staff car on a transporter heading north on the M11 near Stanstead.

Driving up the A130 into Chelmsford last night I saw a couple of Bedford MJ's, an APC, Armoured bulldozer, and a submarine...............

...... No that's not right, hang on I'm asleep aren't I? Yep, that's disappointing.