How Many German WW2 Tanks in Running Condition?

ajmac

As I didn't managed to visit Bovington this year I have been looking through the YouTube posts, looks like it was a good day. However this brought about a question over the number of German tracked vehicles 'live* in captivity'.... I am sure you guys can update the current brief list...

*fully operational condition, bar main gun.

Tiger 1: Bovington

Kingtiger: Saumur (talk of other, but I'm not convinced...)

Jagdtiger: None.....

Panther: Wheatcroft, Littlefield, Munster, Saumur

Jagdpanther: Sdkfz, at least one other I have seen on YouTube, but who?

38T: at least two.....

PzI: ?

PzII: Bovington?

PzIII: Bovington, ??

StuG: Sdkfz, lots of others... more details...

PzIV: lots of others... more details...

JagdPzIV: at least one... YouTube

Hetzer (WW2 vintage): 3+ ??

Not considering Self Propelled Guns, Nashorn, modified french chassis etc...

Edited by ajmac

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tiger I:

The wedsite mentioned above states:

'There have been a number of recent reports of at least two Tigers being kept in Russia, either by the authorities or private dealers. A number of museums, such as the Panzermuseum at Munster, as well as private dealers have made attempts to buy or trade them. One has recently been sold to the USA and another may be destined for Great Britain. (Sources: R. Fleming, W. Schneider). '

Any 2009 info on these possibly phantom vehicles?

Italian rather than German, but I saw this one at (free public militaria show put on by the government, they do things a bit differently there!) was a runner.

No idea what it is though...possibly a M15/42 with no turret?

Stone

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

• Tiger I:
    • - Bovington TM. (Vehicle: 131)
    • picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=1600
    • Video Link: here.

[*] Tiger II (King Tiger)(Vehicle: 233):

• - Saumur TM
    • picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=1601
    • Video Link:

[*] Jadgtiger:

• - Non Running.

[*] Panther:

• - Saumur TM (Vehicle: 211)
    • picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=1598
    • Video Link:
    • - Munster TM - Modern MTU Engine
    • picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=1597
    • - J. Littlefield (Vehicle: 501)
    • picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=1602
    • Video Link:
    • - Flick Collection
    • picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=1595
    • - Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung Koblenz (Vehicle: 801)
    • picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=1599
    • - Kubinka TM (Vehicle: II011)
    • picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=1596
    • Video Link:

[*] Jagdpanther:

• - SDKFZ association (Vehicle 411)
    • Video Link:
    • - Munster Panzer Museum
    • - Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung Koblenz

[*] 38T:

[*] PZI:

[*] PZII:

• Saumur (Vehicle 304)
    • Video Link:

[*] PZIII:

• - Bovington TM

[*] STUG:

• - SDKFZ association

[*] PZIV:

[*] JagdPZIV:

[*] Hetzer: - Not including G-13

• Pansarmuseet, Axvall
    • Private collection
    • Kevin Wheatcroft Collection
    • ASPHM Association, La Wantzenau
    • Kubinka Tank Museum

[*] Hummel

• - Munster TM.

Edited by JoelH

Sorry, I am updating the list as I am going along :)

Edit:

One thing I have noticed is there is a large number of running Panthers.

I have also added photo's to give people some chance of ID-ing them from the you tube videos.

Edited by JoelH

Great idea Fruitbat , very comprehensive listing all the resources connected

Thanks, maybe we can get this turned into a web page at the end of the day.

A good point to note comes from You Tube:

There are about 28 fully operational Panthers in the world today. About 24 more are currently being restored. In the Ardennes Forest, there are about 20 Panthers in museums or permanently situated in the middle of town squares like Houffalize. In the USA, quite a few Panthers exist in museums like the famous Patton Museum in Kentucky. There are also Panthers in Samur, France, and Bovington, England.

Edited: Above quote from You Tube is completely inaccurate. There are 28 surviving examples, but not all of them are "operational" - not sure where that guy got his numbers from. But I believe the current list to be nearly accurate.

P.s. need picture of J.Littlefield Panther.

Edited by JoelH

Thread is going rather well..... Nice touch with the photographs.

It is starting to look like there is preaty much one running example of eveything, bar the Jagdtiger and Elephant, considering how few were manufactured AND survived it isn't much of a surprise.

Now here is THE question.... what would be the possibility of getting an example of each at one event in the UK? It would need some inter-museum co-operation as there is only one Tiger 1 and one KingTiger... I doubt the two museums could ever agree which one should host the event :-\

I remember going to Duxford in the late 90s, the draw of the day being the largest number of Spiftires flying in one place since the 50s, IIRC there was 11 doing the circuit, quite a site and sound.

Edited by ajmac

Thread is going rather well..... Nice touch with the photographs.

It is starting to look like there is preaty much one running example of eveything, bar the Jagdtiger and Elephant, considering how few were manufactured AND survived it isn't much of a surprise.

Now here is THE question.... what would be the possibility of getting an example of each at one event in the UK? It would need some inter-museum co-operation as there is only one Tiger 1 and one KingTiger... I doubt the two museums could ever agree which one should host the event :-\

I remember going to Duxford in the late 90s, the draw of the day being the largest number of Spiftires flying in one place since the 50s, IIRC there was 11 doing the circuit, quite a site and sound.

When I was compiling this list, I had just the same idea. But think of the logistics, if we are honest, the central and most logical location would be main land Europe. But you just wouldn't want to send the Tiger and Panzer 3 all that way :-D

I don't know to what extent Wheatcroft / Littlefield invested in Engine patterns, it all depends how poor the originals were. In building a vintage engine the show stopper is always the lack of viable block / head castings. Back in 2000 I worked on a project for an Aluminium foundry who were making the first Merlin heads, cylinder blocks and crank cases that had been manufactured in years. All it takes is for someone to stump up the pattern manufacturing costs, machining is peanuts. Most... no ALL VSSC vehicles haven't had any original parts in there engines in decades :-)

Rough and ready I'd say a NEW Maybach V12 would set you back £100k turn key. If you had a perfect examble to base it on.

New Castings.

Billet: Crank, Rods, Pistons, with dimensions adjusted to fit off the shelf shells and rings (again following VSSC)

My Dad is currently casting new Ford Essex V6 blocks, and they only faded out in th 70's so you would have thought there were still lots around for rebuild!

It all depends how much money you have :-(

I recall photographing a Pzkpfw III and Jagdpanzer IV at Beltring during the first couple of Beltrings I attended (late 1990`s). Wonder who these belonged to ?

I believe the Jagdpanzer IV went to the USA soon after the show, but I don't know it's current location.