Originality

sirhc

Lucky me!! I've just found an Explorer in a hedge, but the front mudguards are missing, and the bonnet and side panels aren't there.

The tyres are completely bald and someone has written something unintelligible above of the windscreen.

One of the mirrors is missing and the other is bent.

An electric horn has been fixed to the brush guard.

I will be driving it around with the jib not in the correct traveling position.

I will have a broken plank tied to the gun ring mounting with a strip of white rag.

I can only afford some spotty oik with a spray can to paint it for me.

I have no money or time but I am determined to take it to Beltring, do you think I will be allowed in?

Oh and I'm hoping to tow a couple of mates there, no proper kit though, will old bits of wire do?

:-D :-D :-D :sweat:

as.jpg

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is only the input of a nobody but

some trucks almost look to mint marked up in unit markings circa whenever

and you cant help but think it should look almost beat to heck and back

and brush painted

somthing that i am not sure how to veiw is trucks that are renewed i know there is limits to what can be salveged but some seem replicas

the one that springs to mind is the t28 halftrack jeep it is a fantastic thing to see but its almost new as there was next nothing left of it

pink panther landys there must be more of them about than got made to start with

but i think a chap with the africa corps on sunday said somthing that rings true

i asked weather folk noticed or complained about there gaz 69 i think field car marked up as africa corps

he said we dont care it looks the part and anyway we all want to play with our toys and the truth is there arnt enough toys to go around hence the barmy prices he said the worst rivet counters were the older long standing colectors that have owned bought there toys years ago when they were cheap used vehicles

as i say i find it very interesting how owners display ther vehicles

Lucky me!! I've just found an Explorer in a hedge, but the front mudguards are missing, and the bonnet and side panels aren't there.

Nice one Bernard,

LAD REME Queens Royal Irish Hussars, Persian Gulf 1961 :)

Just been looking at the website and realised I knew one of the guys, he was a Major at the Workshops I worked in.

When I took my Ferret to Beltring the first time, some bloke had a go because the headlights were wrong for the period (being halogen). I didn't care, I was just happy to have a vehicle so I was able to take part. I think the comment about ignorance is very valid - I do not have an army background so couldn't tell you what is wrong or right about most of the vehicles on display. I still enjoy it though, it would be a shame if folks didn't take their kit along.

Hi

Just to add my twopennyworth!

If it is a run of the mill vehicle I see no problem with 'field modifications' provided that they are not done to defraud.

It would be a shame if rare vehicles are 'spoilt' but ultimately if it's yours......................

I would also rather see a sympathetically modified vehicle on the road than a 'pedantic' version stuck in a museum .

M

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I would also rather see a sympathetically modified vehicle on the road than a 'pedantic' version stuck in a museum

Me too:-D

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
When I took my Ferret to Beltring the first time, some bloke had a go because the headlights were wrong for the period (being halogen). I didn't care, I was just happy to have a vehicle so I was able to take part. I think the comment about ignorance is very valid - I do not have an army background so couldn't tell you what is wrong or right about most of the vehicles on display. I still enjoy it though, it would be a shame if folks didn't take their kit along.

I think we all agree Lights ,tyres,indicators etc need to be up to scratch i wouldnt give it a second thought.cw.

Hi

My view on originality is that, I like it when people try to keep there as original as possible. but I like it when people present there vehicles with the kit that where used with it at a specific period. But this dosnt mean that all the vehicles schould be painted in US ore UK colors I really would like to se more vehicles done up like fx Norwegian ore French, as most of them has had many differnt users after the war.

I am keeping my Bedford Scammell and Thornycroft in danish markings and mods., to preserve them as part of the Danish army history.

I do not like home made modifications. like these fx.

DSC_0058.JPG

The Saurer in the back fittet with a .50 cal, its a fiberglass cab and would never survive fire the stess of that type weapon.

P5100603_1200x1200.JPG

this 432 with a home made turret.

daimler_ferret_1959_FUJ.JPG

Ferret fittet with home made 0.50cal, the mount used is one for the antenna

As for changing engine, well it often a part of what gives the vehicles "soul", my Champ normaly attracts a lot of people, at shows, when I open the bonnet, because they want to see and hear the engine, (I know Champs are not rare in Uk, but still its a fairly odd engine for what people see as an other type of jeep).

I respect that some times its not possible to keep the original engine due to huge fuel consumption which would result in the vehicle never been driven ore displayed.

Edited by Niels v

My personal feeling is that, if you wish to accessorise your vehicle - crack on!

We would all like a rare and interesting vehicle in 'as new' condition, but not everyone can afford it. Why not take a less exciting vehicle and portray it as something older/rarer (as long as you're honest when you come to sell it)?

There are hoards of German armoured cars that are actually Range Rovers, a Tiger thats actually a T72 (I think) and Dodge command cars that started life as WC51's - so what?, the show scene would be all the poorer if all you got was a parking lot full of unmodified Jeeps and bog standard series 3 GS's.

I have a 101 GS that I am going to portray as one in Australian service - it's never been to Australia (and neither have I for that matter), but they did have them and it will be a little different to all the others. Is that a problem? Should I fly down there and import one that is exactly the same as mine apart from the colour just to please someone else?

Are we going to complain about people who turn up to shows in their Jeep but wearing civvies? Are we going to complain about all the 50-something paratroopers who couldn't squeeze through a Dakota door? How about everyone who wears repro kit?

The thing that gets my goat is when vehicle owners surround them in mine tape and then sit behind the vehicle so that nobody can approach the vehicle or ask about it. What's the point of making the effort to take it to a show if you don't want anybody to enjoy it?

I realise that a lot of hard work can be undone by a few kids clambering about, and we've all had unwanted 'visitors' in our vehicles haven't we, but I'm not suggesting that we allow them to be used as adventure playgrounds before someone jumps down my neck, just that we make them a little accessible?

I say live and let live. If you are a re-enactor and like things to be 'right' - good on you. I have a lot of respect for you. There are some fantastic displays out there and I love to see the rewards of all the time and effort that you put into it, but it's too much like hard work for me.

If you are not a re-enactor, and you like to 'dress up' your wagon to make it a bit different from the herd - again, good for you. You're providing a visual feast and in many cases giving the public what they expect to see, if not necessarily accurately depicting your vehicle in service.

I will be doing what my son and I want with my 101 and if nobody else likes it I shan't be losing any sleep. Come and have a look, if you ask politely you can sit in it and have your photo taken by your Dad - hell, you never know - you might like it!

In case we've forgotten - it's about having fun!

If anybody has that smiley blowing a raspberry, feel free to add it here ->

Martin,

I think you missed the point. Nothing wrong with doing what you want to do, your 101 will look like one in Australian service, and that's great. If you put big wheels on it, painted it black with chrome all over it then that would be different. Sadly there are people who would do that to a 101, and then still take it to a military vehicle show. I think we need to differentiate between customised vehicles and historic military vehicles.

Chris

That's not whats been suggested in this thread though - wing top aerial boxes on a 12V? Cages round the beacons?

My point is - does it matter?

Obviously a spoiler would look slightly out of place but adding a little colour to your display, even if that consists of one vehicle shouldn't be frowned upon. I fear that the movement will die if it is dominated by people with more money sneering at the well intentioned efforts of people who lack time and money but have imagination and enthusiasm.

Not to do with money, more to do with originality.

I want my GS 110 to look like a... In service GS 110... not an FFR, not a WOLF.. If I wanted one.. makes sense to buy one?

Covering your MV in stall finds to make more interesting takes from the "history" of a genuine vehicle.

Surely its about history not about making ficticious? What is less interesting about a genuine 110 GS to a 110 GS made to look like an FFR with boxes and webbing flags and badges? I thought it would be about educating people about history..

People can do as they please but it does make me cringe!

I think it's very easy to look at someone elses vehicle and say to yourself "I wouldn't've done that" or "that's wrong" but one thing is frequently over looked in that owning a particular vehicle or type of vehicle dosen't necessarily make the owner an expert on the subject... sometimes they just don't know something is wrong... they don't always respond well to a gentle prod but hey, it's their toy!

There's also a tendancy to over egg the pudding (ie stick too many accessories to a vehicle) but again i think this is as much a case of the owners only seeing their vehicle as a stand alone display rather than part of a movement...

by the time you've walked past the 20th jeep with a .30 and a .50 and an M1 and a Carbine and a Thompson and a bustle rack and a coke bottle opener on the dash and a hershey bar on the passenger seat and a canvas bucket off the pintle and a baseball mitt on the spare wheel you tend to think that the differences are the only way the owners can tell them apart! But its not as daft as it sounds as you could stand a classic car show and say "oh mines the metallic BLUE split screen beetle" you couldn't really say "oh yes mines the green one with the star on the bonnet"!!!!

"all different... in the same way"

With the whole engine and transmition stuff i have a little part to say.

The person who owns the DUKW's we drive about at normandy are retro fitted with a modern diesel engine. Now he does have 3 dukws in restored condtion one of which has the original engine in it. However the other two have the diesels. One turbo charged the other not. My question to you guys is.... Is it fair to nit pick about keepng these vehichles going when its just not economical to run the original petrol engines. The guy spends long enough sourcing parts and making them up fro effectively scratch and i do believe that people can go a bit far by saying it should have the original engine fitted because i would bet that alot of people on this forum coldnt afford to run a dukw on the original petrol engine for any length of time.

Alex

Hi

Another factor I consider worthy of mention is that sometimes, in order to 'justify' ownership, the vehicle also has to be capable of use other than at shows.My truck has therefore been modified to achieve this and the outward appearance has barely altered.Internally the body is empty and we have removed one ton of surplus bits!

M

Nice photo, I wonder how effective that paint scheme was? It looks like some kids have been tagging it with graffiti! Looks like Arabic above the cab too.

Maybe more effective than the other style they tried!

Different tyres as well, just goes to show why one persons memory of what a certain MV looked like can be so different from anothers.

Richard, any idea what/who DRATSABASTI is/was?

pix found here. http://www.lad-reme-qrih-1960to1969.com/page9.htm

RAY AND HENRY.JPG

There's nothing more amusing than an 'expert' pointing out all the things that are wrong with your vehicle!

Indeed. If you are going to point things out which are wrong either:

1. Make sure you really, really know what you are talking about

or

2. Couch the comment in such a way that you don't look a complete dewdrop when it turns out that you don't know your arse from your elbow.