WW1 Thornycroft restoration

We had a very productive day today, pressing tyres on and off Thornycroft wheels. This is a great deal easier if you have the correct equipment and luckily we have a good friend with a tyre press. The press operates by hydraulically pushing a heavy metal plate upwards. You put the tyre on the plate and rest the wheel on top of that. By carefully positioning metal blocks against the edge of the wheel the tyre is slowly pressed on to the wheel. The water pressure is maintained by a hand pump, and for this you need plenty of athletic friends. Today was a big gathering as we had 20 people present. All the more hands to operate the pump.

The recently sand blasted and painted wheels:

IMG_6573_zpsdb7bbc1d.jpg

The new tyres ready to go on (this had been removed from an Eagle trailer:

IMG_6574_zpsfdacab15.jpg

The old tyres removed previously:

IMG_6575_zps336572c1.jpg

The first tyre on the press: IMG_6576_zpsb3ee109c.jpg

The wheel is located on top:

IMG_6582_zpse2e62f47.jpg

The ram begins to rise out of the ground. The press goes into the ground about the same distance that it rises above it:

IMG_6580_zpsf8e9424a.jpg

The ram has risen further and the metal blocks which the wheel will be pushed against can be seen:

IMG_6586_zps1c59e91d.jpg

The tyre begins to slide onto the wheel:

IMG_6595_zps61a0fabb.jpg

The pump:

IMG_6593_zpsab081d4a.jpg

The first completed wheel:

IMG_6601_zps8a49cc1d.jpg

That is an interesting point... i.e. how big does it need to be... Suppose I was desperate and had to make one. What pressure do you think is required?

The ram is 14" diameter and the pressure gauge is dual calibrated in cwt/in² and Ton/in² up to 2 tons! We used all of it to get the rear tyres started as Tim will tell you shortly.

Steve

The next step was to press the old tyres off the rear wheels. The process was similar to pressing on the new ones. However, the rears are a great deal heavier than the front requiring a chain block to lift them into position:

IMG_6613_zpsd6bb51e4.jpg

This time the wheel is placed up on blocks the tyre is to be forced down. Here you can see the blocks being slid into position:

IMG_6609_zpsa14ee6f1.jpg

IMG_6607_zps087fc1fa.jpg

The wheel is manoeuvred into position:

IMG_6616_zps3f43d8cb.jpg

The pressing begins:

IMG_6620_zps04a4a610.jpg

The suspended blocks are slid out until they just sit on the rim of the tyre:

IMG_6634_zps9cde3f7f.jpg

After a great deal of pumping and effort the tyre begins to move:

IMG_6637_zps8bd314df.jpg

IMG_6639_zps9b0f3145.jpg

Until the first of the two tyres dropped off:

IMG_6649_zpsbe8d4393.jpg

The first tyre is lifted out and the pressing commences on the second tyre:

IMG_6651_zps860c8269.jpg

It must be remembered that the pressure on the wheel is enormous and H&S is not something to be ignored. Unfortunately, just after this photo was taken something very unfortunate happened. Despite being careful it is very easy in your enthusiasm in watching the tyre slide off the rim to miss something very important.

Right. Time to get the Sunday roast ready.

It must be remembered that the pressure on the wheel is enormous and H&S is not something to be ignored. Unfortunately, just after this photo was taken something very unfortunate happened. Despite being careful it is very easy in your enthusiasm in watching the tyre slide off the rim to miss something very important.

Such as keeping hands well clear of the suspended tyre rim? (last photo)

That was very observant of you. Yes, that would have been very nasty resulting in trimmed finger nails (or trimmed fingers), but that is not what happened (although it could quite easily have done).

I feel like I should be making one of those Health and safety videos. "What happened next"?

There is something not right in our set up which resulted in the incident. If you study the photos carefully you might notice it. The shape of the Thornycroft wheel exacerbated the situation. Think about what forces are being applied. Free mince pie to the first to notice. Don't worry if you have no idea. There were 20 of us watching the pressing and we didn't notice what was about to happen until it was too late.

The ram is 14" diameter and the pressure gauge is dual calibrated in cwt/in² and Ton/in² up to 2 tons! We used all of it to get the rear tyres started as Tim will tell you shortly.

So, 2 tons per square inch on a 14" ram sounds like 300 tons. That's a fair bit more than I would have guessed.

As the press pushed the wheel up, the domed centre of the wheel contacted the top of the press before the tyre was released from the wheel.

Little bit of straightening to do? :whistle:

Our press has only one original curved cast iron block - and thanks to your pictures I now know what that was used for! We have several different length blocks made from RHS with heavy plates top / bottom, but they would be dodgy to use for this application.

That's what you needed - a longer set of blocks!

Tony

Edited by N.O.S.

Well done chaps. You have got it.

The top blocks are just not quite long enough for this set up. As the wheel was pushed up the chain fouled the top of the press.

IMG_6654_zps46c1464c.jpg

IMG_6656_zpsb9c2ec20.jpg

We noticed just as the tyre was about to drop off:

IMG_6658_zps5f3dfc06.jpg

IMG_6659_zps2f7bf83a.jpg

IMG_6661_zps8c0ca25e.jpg

Nasty dent and gouges:

IMG_6663_zps075dae28.jpg

Actually, a lot worse than it looks in the photos:

IMG_6664_zps0c183f4a.jpg

Disappointing to think it is nearly 100 years old, survived two world wars and then we damage a wheel like that:

Anyway, it is still in better condition than the tyres:

IMG_6695_zps45ff58c4.jpg

IMG_6694_zpsf083fc75.jpg

IMG_6697_zps77a0caa2.jpg

Edited by Great War truck

Yes, we live and learn. We probably wont make that mistake again..........

Due to the design of Thornycroft wheels they are particularly awkward to repair. We would not be able to use a press on it as we would not be able to reach the other side to press against it. I have come across several references to Thornycroft wheels having to be scrapped after a small collision.

Luckily we were in the very fortunate position of having access to a very well equipped workshop and lots of skilled and interested people. While we were still contemplating what to do the wheel had disappeared and was already under repair. The photos are very much self explanatory but having the right tools for the job was a great help as you can see:

DSCN4694_zpsced87957.jpg

DSCN4684_zpsbaf80e8f.jpg

DSCN4696_zpse8329b6a.jpg

DSCN4695_zps2fed21ac.jpg

DSCN4689_zps653739c6.jpg

DSCN4701_zps6ff8fc9c.jpg

DSCN4702_zps92c9df03.jpg

Many hands make light work:

IMG_6704_zps4088f08c.jpg

Almost as good as new. Another scar to add to its history:

IMG_6719_zps93904091.jpg

IMG_6718_zpsb7527ce4.jpg

This is a section taken from the "The correct ordering and Fitting of Dunlop Solid Rubber Tyres". It relates ram pressure to tyre diameter.

ram prewssure.JPG

It is well worth noting that if you are going to purchase solid rubber tyres from Dunlop and have them delivered to you by the Great Western Railway that;

weight restriction.JPG

I am grateful to Ben Hawkins ( A Dennis Restorer ) for sending me a copy of this wonderfully informative manual. Whilst we are talking about old solid rubber tyres can I ask again if anyone has knowledge of surviving 'Air Cushion' tyres which competed with solid rubber tyres in the early 1900's.

ar dennis.JPG

The air cushions look like octopus tentacle suckers.

I now have this Dennis and would just love to return it to it's original specification with this type of tyre!

Barry.

Edited by Asciidv

So, 2 tons per square inch on a 14" ram sounds like 300 tons. That's a fair bit more than I would have guessed.

We didn't actually get to the limit of the gauge. At least, I don't think we did. It was on the shelf in the workshop! However, there are two pumps of different diameters and each has two pivot positions. To get the first pair of tyres to let go, we were on low ratio of the small pump and it was as much as one man could push on the handle so I think we were well up. Mind you, the lorry was broken up in 1937 and the tyres had been worn out before then so they can't have been moved for at least 80 years. Once they went, it was relatively straightforward to keep pushing.

Steve

An electric water pump from a steam cleaner on the press saves a lot of time and effort, especially when setting up. But sometimes the pump would get fried - especially when pressing crawler crane track sprockets off 6" shafts and we'd have to 'man the pump' and finish off by hand :sweat:

An electric water pump from a steam cleaner on the press saves a lot of time and effort, especially when setting up. But sometimes the pump would get fried - especially when pressing crawler crane track sprockets off 6" shafts and we'd have to 'man the pump' and finish off by hand :sweat:

The other option is to slit the rings with a disk cutter. They go bang just before you cut through, but with no drama.

They fall off then.