another licence question

Hi there, I am thinking of going for my Class 'C'

My question is :-

If I want to tow a car trailer behind a 4 tonner would I have to take C+E?

I already have C1E

All the best

Mark :cool:

If the towing vehicle is over 7.5t (which it is unless downplated) then yes, you do need C+E. You might be better with a smaller towing vehicle (101FC maybe?) as C1E covers you up to 12000kg train weight so the 750kg trailer weight limit on C wouldn't be a problem.

HTH!

Stone

While Mark is asking, If you get C, does that cover you to drive C1 vehicles as well?

I've been pondering whether you need to do B, C and C1 to drive the full range of weights. C seems to specifically start at 7.5 tonnes, which would mean I'd have a gap in my driving ability between car and 7.5 tonne.

I'm one of the folks with a new style license which doesnt include C1 by default.

Edited by Lauren Child

If the towing vehicle is over 7.5t (which it is unless downplated) then yes, you do need C+E. You might be better with a smaller towing vehicle (101FC maybe?) as C1E covers you up to 12000kg train weight so the 750kg trailer weight limit on C wouldn't be a problem.

HTH!

Stone

thanks for that, just thought I would have been covered with C1+E.

On the subject of towing, is it legal to tow, say, a stripped down 110 rover (recce) with a 109" rover?

Mark

A few links

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_4022564

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/driving_licences.htm'>http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/driving_licences.htm'>http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/driving_licences.htm

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/

If you are thinking of using an A-Frame to tow anything have a read here... http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=2555

Edited by Marmite!!

I took my c licence, I was amazed at how it improved my driving with trailer and big vehicle skills...I thought I was a good driver until I took this course and test...it made me a safer driver...I am taking my h licence this year and expect that to do the same, although driving the 432 on the road is pure fear..but at least i am only driving at less than 25mph...I will take my artic c1e licence next year and I too expect that to improve my driving skills...if you want to drive big vehicles do the courses and the tests...it will make you safer and more capable and less of a risk to other road users..

While Mark is asking, If you get C, does that cover you to drive C1 vehicles as well?

Yes, it does; see here.

C is described as 'Vehicles over 3500kg with a trailer up to 750kg' so there is no gap in the entitlements.

I've been pondering whether you need to do B, C and C1 to drive the full range of weights. C seems to specifically start at 7.5 tonnes, which would mean I'd have a gap in my driving ability between car and 7.5 tonne.

I'm one of the folks with a new style license which doesnt include C1 by default.

The purpose of C1 is to allow young drivers to drive small lorries from the age of 18, likewise with D1 and minibuses - once you have entitlement for B and C you're able to drive anything from 550kg (the lower end of B1) up to a six-axle rigid at 44t! In reality you get B1 for free when you pass B, so gaining C actually allows you to drive pretty much any rigid-bodied vehicle, so long as it doesn't carry passengers or steer with tracks!

I passed B1/B in 2002 so I don't have C1 entitlement either - but once I pass my C test I'll be sorted :-D

Taking C is usually the best bet - in answer to the original question you could put ramps on your Bedford and carry a car on the back, but only if it was downplated and then your car would have to weigh less than 2000kg! It just ends up being way too complicated, far easier to just take the test and avoid being restricted.

Don't forget you only have until 10th September 2009 to pass before Driver CPC comes in - if you don't pass in time you miss out on your grandfather rights and have to take twice as many theory tests!

Stone

Hello all.

Category C1 allows you to drive a truck up to 7.5 tonnes. Most of the people on here should have this category, as long as you passed your car test before 1st Jan 1997. Forget the lower weights as this just makes it confusing.

A Category C licence allows you to drive any RIGID truck up to any weight. In practice the biggest truck you could drive is an eight wheel truck (like a tipper) with 4 axles and this would be a maximum weight of 32 tonnes. The only time you are allowed to carry 44 tonnes is with a 3 axle tractor and trailer.

All these weights are maximum limits. Maximum legal weights are determined by a number of factors, including the spacing between the axles, the outer axle and bogie spread, the number of tyres on each axle, and the type of suspension fitted. Vehicles with Road Friendly Suspension (RFS) and twin tyres on the drive axle are permitted higher weights than those without. The majority of vehicles with RFS operate on air suspension, but some rubber and hydraulic suspension may also count as road-friendly.

Also can I point out that while you will need to do the drivers CPC if you are going to go for your licence, once passed you will not need to renew it again IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DRIVE IN A PROFESSIONAL CAPACITY. The drivers CPC is only applicable to drivers who are subject to the WTD and EU drivers hours regulations. Driving an HGV in a PRIVATE capacity means that you will not require to undergo the 35 hours of training every 5 years in order to keep your licence.

I on the other hand have to do this training because I am a class one truck driver for a living. I have grandfather rights for the first 5 years as I have my licence already, but after that I will require to undergo the training or I will loose my ability to drive professionally.

Also can I point out that while you will need to do the drivers CPC if you are going to go for your licence, once passed you will not need to renew it again IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DRIVE IN A PROFESSIONAL CAPACITY. The drivers CPC is only applicable to drivers who are subject to the WTD and EU drivers hours regulations. Driving an HGV in a PRIVATE capacity means that you will not require to undergo the 35 hours of training every 5 years in order to keep your licence.

I on the other hand have to do this training because I am a class one truck driver for a living. I have grandfather rights for the first 5 years as I have my licence already, but after that I will require to undergo the training or I will loose my ability to drive professionally.

As I understand it Loggy, there is only a requirement to present yourself at the training venue for 35 hours, you can can sit there with a pair of ear defenders on or even fall fast asleep as there is no assessment or exam.

As I understand it Loggy, there is only a requirement to present yourself at the training venue for 35 hours, you can can sit there with a pair of ear defenders on or even fall fast asleep as there is no assessment or exam.

There will be two types of driver CPC (DCPC)

DCPC is ONLY required if you intend to drive vocationally and starts on September 10th 2009

the first is the initial which will be required for anybody passing their test after this date. There is no need to attend training for any length of time only to pass the test which will be along the lines of the theory test. I have no doubt that some training organisations will however run training courses.

The second is the periodic which states that there must be 35hours of training within 5 years (i.e. by 10th September 2014) This can be undertaken as a block or in blocks of no less than 7 hours. (my company will be delivering the training to its drivers as a day a year for 5 years). This training is attendance onle with no test.

The training will be recorded and details kept by the DSA.

Alll existing drivers will be given "grandfather rights" and will be issued with the DCPC card when the periodic training has been completed.

If you do not intend to drive vocationally then there is no requirement for DCPC.

A fact that has escaped most people is that from September this year providing that the DCPC test has been passed then the age for driving an LGV will be 18.