BA Stores Vintage Working Weekend Aberdeenshire

Here are some photos from the Vintage working weekend, organised by Alan Brownie, at his store, the money raised this year going to the Heart Foundation.

We were invited along, as he wanted to give it a more "Wartime theme" the show been previously more agricutural vehicle orientated, although they arent snobs, if its old and interesting, its in!

The few days running up to the show had been very wet, and Saturday morning hadnt improved, infact it was stotting it down! all day and into the night this kept numbers down, but as they say up here "there is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing" so we pretty much carried on as if it wasnt raining, barbecue, drinks etc alfresco.

Fast forward a few hours into Sunday morning, and it turned out to be a cracking day, and the turn out was fairly respectable for our first large organised foray with MV's at this event, so we are hoping to make this a regular feature in this part of the world, like a mini Great Dorset Steam Fair!

Here are a few pictures from the show, all of our vehicles, and as usual i was so busy looking at everything else i didnt get any pictures!

Starting with saturday nights beer fest and barbecue and then into sunday and pictures of the majority of vehicles, i missed a few, the Leyland Martian that was with the Centurion and International wrecker amongst them.

16052009163.jpg

16052009164.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon

A Dodge M37, built in Canada for the Canadian Army in the early fifties and recently imported into the UK, its in very nice condition, and has all the improvements over the earlier WC51 that you would want, like glass in the doors decent 24v electrics and a heater! the next picture shows both types together.

17052009171.jpg

17052009173.jpg

1944 Albion CX22, In the livery of a local garage that converted it to a recovery when released from the Army, everybody knows it as such and is a local "Hero" in its own right, the present owner has removed the exceptionally heavy recovery Jib and kit, and is turning it into a ballast tractor set up. Still running fine on its Albion oil engine.

The CMP truck has extensively toured about europe and is a regular on the Scottish show scene.

17052009176.jpg

17052009178.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon

CMP with 25 pounder and Limber, this and the previous CMP have attended shows all over europe. The owner has an extensive display of shells and fuses and puts on a magic display when all set up.

Crocs Scammell Explorer, still in its Sutherlands of Dingwall livery, it may look a bit down market, but it still managed to suspend tow a Ferret to the show and back, and extract itself from some nasty mire when it got hopelessly stuck, using its main winch routed through the front, a very useful beast to have around. Notice the Explorer version of a 9x9 on the rear!

17052009180.jpg

17052009182.jpg

Centurion Recovery! sounded fantastic and it made the ground shake, there was big agricultural stuff at the show, but nothing that was on par with this thing!

And if you have a Cent, you probably need something fairly useful to help haul bits of it off and around, so the ex Dutch International wrecker comes in handy, along with a Leyland Martian recovery (Not photo'd) if you think this is one big petrol burning nightmare to own, he also has a couple of Stalwarts and a Humber truck. :bow:

17052009184.jpg

17052009183.jpg

And this is our little gang, convoying it back home, we mostly live within a few miles of each other.

This was a good weekend, Allan Brownie who runs the show really made an effort with the facilities for us, its a nice site, its free to exhibitors and its all for charity, you even get an exhibitors award this year is was an event gold rimmed china plate with a picture of a CMP featuring . The N.E. Liason officer of the SMVG, Mike Ogston is keen to make this a regular big thing making this our North East of Scotland MV get together, we know there are alot of vehicles in Aberdeenshire, and Moray and having something like this more northerly is a fantastic thing, they were unlucky with the weather on the Saturday, but it turned out great in the end!

For those who cant wait till next year, we have our own get together on the second thursday evening of the month at the Hunters Moon in Auchleven, near Insch, anything goes, its more a celebration of rust driving in close formation, than a purists MV gathering, and the pub is an active member for the Campaign for Real Ale!

And you can also look at the Scottish Military Vehicle Groups website for an updated list of what going on.

:thanx:

17052009191.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

thanks for the great photos Adam - I couldn't make it last year (09) but my dad did with the C15 TA and my uncle with his dodge too. Looking at the photos, I've kinda missed out on the fun haven't I lol. Usual weather I suspect too.

:-D