Federal 606 Wrecker

Oh, that Federal in Dundee has come down in the world, I wondered where it went.

About twenty years ago I saw it sitting off the A9 in Pitlochrie, maybe 50 miles north of there. It was one of two which had been used for heavy construction, the other was sitting not far away as a bare chassis.

At the time I saw it the doors were still on, but the whole ash frame under the cab was rotten so not surprising they have fallen off. It was originally an aircraft wrecker, but the fifth wheel had been removed and the boom altered too. Either that one or the other one also had a diesel lump fitted.

Where was it in Dundee then? it couldn't still be there? probably worth not more than scrap value in that condition, when you can pick up a decent WLF equivalent anywhere in Europe for a reasonable sum

Gordon

(Aberdeen today)

Hi Gordon M, it was in the Dundee suburb of Lochee and it did come from Pitlochry.

It was pretty rough and it's now been weighed in for scrap when it was £200+ a ton.

It would have been nice if someone had taken it on for restoration as Federals are far less common than WLF's.

Regards, Jonathan

A rare truck was this WW2 Federal 606 Type C-2 Wrecker I took a photo of in Dundee a few years ago.

The original petrol engine had been replaced by a Gardner Diesel and the wrecker jib had been shortened by the looks of it.

it has had passed to the feraille or it is still in this breakage has to await its saver.

c' is always painful d' to learn qu' a vehicle has was to recycle after so much d' years to pass has to await one impassioned which n' did not come.

It's Very annoying when a rare vehicle is sold for scrap. Sadly we can understand why someone in business would do it. Do you keep it for ever more waiting for someone to buy it for five hundred pounds, or scrap it for two hundred pounds a ton and get something nearer two thousand pounds for it.

I recently contacted a dealer who had four Albions of a similar model to mine for spares. He scrapped all of them, even though they are extremely rare. Very annoying and very sad, but as you French say "Cest la vie" :-(

It' is always a great sadness to see leaving an inheritance automobile.

I' visited there are 10 years the museum of foundation BERLIET, one of the mark which is at the base of the mark of truck or I travail.

quel happiness to be with the foot d' T100 which traversed the desert of the SAHARA, or has that of my factory to see d' old SAVIEM and RENAULT CONVEY INDUSTRIEL.je n' would have qu' only one sentence, to save your partimoine to transmit it to young person

• 2 weeks later...
Star of the show!!

Federal 606 C2 wrecker (?)with its Hercules engine on show at La Locomotion en Fete, Etampes, France Saturday the 13th June 2009.

Lovely machine!

Very Nice indeed!

I was going to go to Locomotion this year, but it clashed with a show here! I'm definitely going next year though. Did you enjoy it FV1604A?

Hi, Ekawrecker,

Yes and No!

It is still a mega show in terms of size ,but going back to 2001 (and we have been 8 years on the trot) when we first went, some of the excitement has gone , which I presume is the H&S brigade restricting movement with its attendant insurance implications.Every year there was a defilé (parade) at the end of the afternoon on both Saturday and Sunday. This gave us the opportunity to see the vehicles moving and to photograph them (We are there working, not (just!) for pleasure), but this year, no defilé on Saturday! We were too busy, too hot and to be honest,too tired to chase around finding out why!The Federal was one of the few new restorations on the heavy military side, although, it was good to see ex-pat and Italian trucker Nicky Armstrong's Scammell TRMU 'Hugo' getting a new coat of paint.Saumur's Panther was back again!It would be good to see the French Army back with more creative vehicles.

Hope you get across yourself next year , definitely worth the time and money , but take some cover (small tent!, sure Jack, can fix you up with one!!!) Best wishes, Mike.

• 2 months later...

Hello

At the begining of SEPTEMBER there was the dreat meeting in FRANCE 'LE PAS DE CALAIS LIBERE' and in the area of SOUCHEZ there was a FEDERAL 606 which had been completely restored from a scraped state.

One more pic to add on the web site

Regards to all Serge

FEDERAL_606.jpg

Hello

At the begining of SEPTEMBER there was the dreat meeting in FRANCE 'LE PAS DE CALAIS LIBERE' and in the area of SOUCHEZ there was a FEDERAL 606 which had been completely restored from a scraped state.

Regards to all Serge

Now that is one good looking lorry ! :shocked:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Hello

Regards to all Serge

I think this is a Federal 605, F1 Fuel tanker tractor, for USAAC.

G_Mendes