Waste of money...fly past?

Jack

I'm with every one else here Jack - there most certainly is a value in keeping the old birds flying:

• It triggers memories in the veterans which should be recorded for posterity.
  • It reminds the younger generation that jets aren't everything and men & women fought for their freedom in machines that originally were as unsophisticated as wood and linen.
  • It defeats - or at least - defers the "Hollywood" effect that the US fought every battle and won every battle on their own.

If you've never seen it - get over to Old Warden on a flying day and see the WW1 fighters and fighter bombers in the air. It took more courage than I'll ever have to fly a Sopwith Camel into combat again the Fokker Triplanes.....

Then compare these to the Spitfires, Hurricanes and Messerschmidt's that flew a mere 30 odd years later....

It should be remembered that the aircraft of teh BBMF also arrange fly past at times whne the aircraft are in the area when possible. The flight is at the very least a monument to those who fought and diedthen and now!

As I help restore WW2 era aircraft and also get the chance to fly them, i'm in agreement with everyone else. Yes, the price is high, but that's just to help cover costs. If you guys think the price of fuel is bad for your military vehicles, try filling up a full tank for a Beech 18 - £1200, and that was the last time we checked

I think its the combination of multiple experiences thats important. You can be at an MV show, or a castle, or service, and that's what you concentrate on. The minute you get the extra sounds and sights of an aircraft overhead it transports your imagination and you really start to think about it. The same goes for the sound of the bugler or the sight and sound of a tank rolling past.

I remember my first day at the museum. I'd been upside down in an OT-64C pulling out engine parts to restore our OT810. It was great fun and I loved the engineering, but at the end of the day I was knackered, aching, and wondering if I had the endurance to do all of this heavy work. Then out of the blue three spitfires took off in quick succession and flew straight over the workshops. That moment sealed it for me. It was so far removed from everyday life that it seemed almost magical, yet it also made me think of the people who did the same thing for real, and appreciate how different and outside of my comprehension that life must have been.

Even doing the tank rides around the arena, it's surprising how everyone stops and watches as an aircraft takes off. The squealing stops and the eyes go big just for a second.

Aircraft can fly just about anywhere, so they are a good way of adding that second experience. Any show is just a show, until you blend in some other elements. That's what makes it an experience. Thats why its so important we all keep our vehicles going, whether it fly's, drives, or swims.

Edited by Lauren Child

I think its the combination of multiple experiences thats important. You can be at an MV show, or a castle, or service, and that's what you concentrate on. The minute you get the extra sounds and sights of an aircraft overhead it transports your imagination and you really start to think about it. The same goes for the sound of the bugler or the sight and sound of a tank rolling past.

I remember my first day at the museum. I'd been upside down in an OT-64C pulling out engine parts to restore our OT810. It was great fun and I loved the engineering, but at the end of the day I was knackered, aching, and wondering if I had the endurance to do all of this heavy work. Then out of the blue three spitfires took off in quick succession and flew straight over the workshops. That moment sealed it for me. It was so far removed from everyday life that it seemed almost magical, yet it also made me think of the people who did the same thing for real, and appreciate how different and outside of my comprehension that life must have been.

Even doing the tank rides around the arena, it's surprising how everyone stops and watches as an aircraft takes off. The squealing stops and the eyes go big just for a second.

Aircraft can fly just about anywhere, so they are a good way of adding that second experience. Any show is just a show, until you blend in some other elements. That's what makes it an experience. Thats why its so important we all keep our vehicles going, whether it fly's, drives, or swims.

Stunning and think that has nailed it! It is contextual.

Very true. Same could be said for all preserved MV's though.

After the last flying Mosquito crashed there was an argument that these old birds should all be grounded and left in museums. I disagree with this totally. Not many will want to restore or fund an aeroplane that will never fly again. Really not much motivation to do it.

Looking at the number of warbirds that have crashed in recent years it is only a matter of time until we have a real tragedy - say the BBMF Lancaster being pranged. However, i believe that as many warbirds as possible should be returned to flying condition and then flown. I also believe that if there is only one example of a particular plane left then whether it is flown again or not is a matter for serious consideration.

Tim (too)

If you have seen the coverage from the D-Day memorial at Arromanches, it was all pretty sombre and then came 2 spitfires and the Lancaster from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, big cheers and smiles from the old boys........enough said!

Who cares what it costs, the longer the sights and sounds of these wartime icons keep flying the better, just ask those who fought during these campaigns and I reckon it'd be a hands down yes everytime.

Worth every penny.

Edited by Marmite!!

I agree with keeping these old warbirds flying, they are meant to fly and with so many people getting so much enjoyment out of seeing them fly, it would be a shame to see them cooped up in a museum getting covered in dust and leaking oil.

I worked on the BBMF's aircraft during 2006 and got to start up the engine on the Spitfire Mk IIa P7350 and the Hurricane Mk IIc LF363 for ground tests. It was quite good fun reassembeling the engine cowlings for the C47 ZA947, plus I got to climb around in all the aircraft and move the ailerons. By far the best experience was sitting in the rear gun turret position in PA474, imagining how those men flew and shot down enemy planes at 20,000ft over Germany.

These are for me, the reasons we must keep these historic aircraft flying - they are a true link to what went on 65 years ago.

I am fortunate enough to live in an area where we quite often see the old warbirds being taken out to play . I feel extremely priviledged to see Hurricanes , Spitfires and other historic machines in the sky over me whilst standing in my own back garden . Those sights and sounds always affect me profoundly & make me think of those who gave their all for our sakes and of the uncle I never knew who died with his crew in a Halifax over Germany .

The sky is their home and where they belong for as long as they can be kept there to educate and remind us all of what once went before and the debt we owe every single one of them .

I am fortunate enough to live in an area where we quite often see the old warbirds being taken out to play . I feel extremely priviledged to see Hurricanes , Spitfires and other historic machines in the sky over me whilst standing in my own back garden . Those sights and sounds always affect me profoundly & make me think of those who gave their all for our sakes and of the uncle I never knew who died with his crew in a Halifax over Germany .

The sky is their home and where they belong for as long as they can be kept there to educate and remind us all of what once went before and the debt we owe every single one of them .

Here here ! :thanx:

Hear hear too... I'm also lucky enough to see these, living near-ish the old Bentwaters.

A few weekends back the Spit was up and there was the distinctive roar, we had some freinds staying with their 9 & 11 y/o kids, when I pointed it out to them, they were in awe... (as amI, truth be told, every time I see it) there was also the BoB memorial flypast coming back from Norfolk that came very low over the village and that truly took our breath away.

If you have seen the coverage from the D-Day memorial at Arromanches, it was all pretty sombre and then came 2 spitfires and the Lancaster from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, big cheers and smiles from the old boys........enough said!

www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=8635

I agree Adam, it picked us up as spectators as well. We were all pretty down due to the weather but to hear the sound of those engines coming soon picked everyone up. Below is a picture from Arromanches.

We were lucky enough to see the BoBMF twice, once at Arromanches and once in a little village earlier on in the weekend as we waited in a queue of traffic in a small village.

653.jpg

after the bb memorial flight came over montgomery three times and the lone spitfire as well the cheers that went up for these old planes were defenning so long may these tributes keep on flying and keep us rembering the part they played

Have been lucky enough to see the BoBMF fly past again today and once again it proved its worth. We live about 20 miles away from RAF Cosford and with the air show taking place this weekend it means the turning circles often come close to us.

Saw the BoBMF do a few laps as well as the Vulcan before the lanc flew home over us. Great stuff :-D

Having taken part in the flypast which supported the parade through London of troops returning from Op Granby, perhaps I can offer a perspective from the participant's POV?

Despite a challenging mix of types, from all three Services, and in weather conditions which sometimes meant that we lost sight of the element in front of ours, we were proud to have been there, to show our appreciation for not only the troops, but also the public who, at that time, had supported our Services. I wouldn't have missed that opportunity for all the tea in China.

I've just got back from Weymouth Veterans Parade, where there was a Spitfire 19 and Hurricane 2c of the BBMF flyover.

Waste of money?? NO WAY.

Edited by woa2
Left out a bit