6th June 2009 Portsmouth

Just emailed them to see what the crack is. I will be at the D-Day museum with my beach landing display, but hopefully I will be able to come over to the common for a look around at some point.

See you there

Paul

Reckon this is going to be a great event and I would be there if we weren't in Normandy.

I bunked of school to attend the opening of the musem on the 40th anniversary. I am starting to feel old!

Paul do you know if Southwick House will be open again this year - I need to put that in my diary if it is. Always wanted to visit there.

Jack,

To my knowledge no, but will ask them when im up there with the Jeep on Friday for filming. Dont know what they are filming but it will be a live feed, last time it was for "the one show" re Slapton sands.

Have a great time in France.

Paul

Jack,

To my knowledge no, but will ask them when im up there with the Jeep on Friday for filming. Dont know what they are filming but it will be a live feed, last time it was for "the one show" re Slapton sands.

Have a great time in France.

Paul

How come I am the only one who doesn't have any fun :cry::cry:

anyone going to the D day ,6 june. in portsmouth . andy jones ,who is arranging everything. i havnt seen any posts.???? well ive just spoke to the british legion . anyone who is going get intouch with me so i can let the british legion know whos going . how many vehicles and so on .. i have been asked to get there before 9 am

Just been sent the agenda for the day (see below) and the D-Day museun will be open till 2100 on the day.

Look like it might rain according to the forecast, so the weather could be the same as on the original day.

To those that are going ill see you there.

D-DAY 65 – PARTY IN PORTSMOUTH

EVENT SYNOPSIS

Timetable of Activities for the Day

11am: D-Day Parade starts at Lumps Fort to the D-Day stone on the seafront,

marchers gather at 10.15am

12 noon: Bike Ride commences, main starting point, Skate Park

Cyclists entertained on route by the strolling jazz musicians,The Old

Thumper Dixie 5

1.30pm – 4.15pm: The Memphis Belles Swing Orchestra accompanied by the Lindy Hopper Dancers, Bandstand.

PUBLIC PICNIC

4.30pm – 5.45pm: Ray Gelato and the Giants, Bandstand

5pm: Hercules poppy drop

2pm – 6pm: Military vehicle display and military tented village, Castle Field

Billy Danter’s Fun Fair, Castle Field

Selection of food outlets, Castle Field

Poppy Draw worth £15,000, Castle Field

Commemorative merchandise and military memorabilia tents, Castle Field

12 noon – 6pm: Commemorative flag planting – in between the Bandstand and Castle

Field behind the D-Day Museum

6pm: The Parachute Regiment Freefall Team – The Red Devils Display

6.30pm: Celebrations end

NB: A possible 1 minute silence may follow the Hercules poppy drop – decision to be made on the day

Don't leave us hanging , was it a minor temporary pause or something much more serious ????

hi , fuel problems , i think it was dirt in the fuel tank was thrown into the carb . so hopefully a good clean , and she will be up and running. did all the usual checks spark plugs all working , so got to be the carb. and clean the fuel tanks. every show i go to something happens .should have bought a classic push bike, as my poor old cheep cherokee keeps having to pull the pig :argh: got to get her ready for the southsea para show , as a gentleman from london is coming down to see her. he used to drive her in northern ireland . plus he will be able to tell me a bit about her history and has some photos too, plenty to do. and no time to do it:sweat:

Some pictures from the D-Day museum, a very busy day seeing lines of people waiting to gain entrance to the museum. Vehicle displays were also very busy from early in the morning to around 1800 when we started to pack up. Due to the ammout of visitors I had during the day I had to scale down my display as people were into touching and picking up everything.

P1000312.jpg

P1000313.jpg

P1000314.jpg

P1000315.jpg

P1000316.jpg

P1000317.jpg

P1000318.jpg

P1000319.jpg

The next set of pictures are from the British Legion set up on the Castle fields alongside the D-Day musuem

P1000321.jpg

P1000322.jpg

P1000324.jpg

P1000327.jpg

P1000326.jpg

P1000325.jpg

Paul

Edited by BIGREDONE

That looked like a good turnout considering so many are away.

Please can you tell me what the green poles are near the hedgehogs, are they to simulate mines?

cheer P

Yes German teller mines on poles, would have been submerged when the tide was in along with the Hedgehogs. If you look at pictures of Omaha beach you will see lines of them.

Paul

Cheers for posting Paul didnt realise post war as well,

I think without the "post war" there would not have been alot there, so I guess the organisers were glad to get anything military. If I remember there were 5 Jeeps at the D-Day museum and about 9 vehicles on the Castle field.

Paul

im really glad i went . for the first part of the day i felt i was ignored. the guys with the post war vehicles made me feel welcome . the soe at the front of the d day museum made me feel welcome . it took a while before anyone actually spoke to me... pretty damn sad really. as you will all gather im pretty rough around the edges , but i tell it how i see it. if i upset anyone tough... the men and women who fought for our freedom and freedom of speech would turn in there graves to see how spineless and dictorial our nation has become.. any views on this feel free to pm me