Beer & Music Festival

Gareth Coe

OK then, as most of us AREN'T going to Detling this year... :-D

I would like to organise a little festival on the August bank holiday weekend. This will involve live music, beer, camping, that sort of thing. At the moment it's just an idea, so perhaps some of you can help make it happen.

I've been looking at marquee hire and such - it all starts to add-up very quickly, so if anyone has a marquee or military tent to lend for the weekend that'd help. I don't actually have a venue yet, so if anyone knows of a suitable place - a field or two, with room for a couple of marquees (one for music and one for drinking/falling over), tents for the happy campers and parking etc. I'm in Colchester so I'm aiming for Essex or Suffolk. Maybe you've got some land that'll be empty for the weekend?

If any of you have stalls (militaria, ice creams, hot dogs, funny hats etc.) and you want to come along please do it :)

I'm currently in conversation with PRS about licensing, so all help in that area much appreciated too. If you're in a band, or know of any musos who would like to play (don't think I'll be able to pay 'em much) please give me a shout.

Something different, eh? A non-military weekend will make a refreshing change I reckon.

I was hoping the musical ambitions of HMVF memebers would be confined to Kareoke night in the bomp proof sound proof bunker in the middle of the DUKW pond!. :noyay:

My musical abilities will definitely NOT be on show that weekend.

I have just got off the phone after speaking to a certain musician who will be well-known to those members who are as old as me (or older). Don't want to give anything away but he and his band are available and are pencilled-in for the weekend.

I am talking to a land owner on Monday and, if all goes well, will be able to confirm with my star attraction after that. Then the advertising campaign will begin. Blimey!:captain:

Gareth, Don't forget to speak with your local council's licencing department about a suitable licence to allow for

a) the provision of regulated entertainment

b) the sale of alcohol

c) provision of late night refreshment

etc etc. Because you are aiming for a good attendance it is likely that more than 499 people will be present (including staff) and therefore you will need to apply for a temporary premises licence, rather than the more straight forward Temporary Event Notice.

This will take a lot of time and paperwork (and money) so make sure you do it sooner rather than later.

Having said all that, I'm not going to Beltring so if you were organising this a bit closer to Wiltshire I would love to come along with a cider stall!

Best of luck with the event.

Edited by Nissedasapewt
Sorry, posting to the wrong person!

Neil, Don't forget to speak with your local council's licencing department about a suitable licence to allow for

a) the provision of regulated entertainment

b) the sale of alcohol

c) provision of late night refreshment

etc etc. Because you are aiming for a good attendance it is likely that more than 499 people will be present (including staff) and therefore you will need to apply for a temporary premises licence, rather than the more straight forward Temporary Event Notice.

This will take a lot of time and paperwork (and money) so make sure you do it sooner rather than later.

Having said all that, I'm not going to Beltring so if you were organising this a bit closer to Wiltshire I would love to come along with a cider stall!

Best of luck with the event.

Thanks for that :)

I've not done anything like this before so it's a steep learning curve.

I've got a headline act, some volunteers, a date, an embryonic website and a long list of things to do next :shake:

Talking to land owners and sound people next week.

Have applied to the local council re permissions etc.

Got a whole load of gibberish from the PRS :confused:

Still need lots of help - anyone got a water bowser we can borrow for the weekend?

Don't know what else we need. My headless chicken impression is getting better and better ;)

Don't forget that you don't pay burger vans etc to come on site, they pay you for the privilege:-D

Yes, thats true for established events but for a new show you will attract better traders if you keep the commision to nil, if you need help with the costs ask for a donation from profits but setting pitch fees will deter a lot of people, especially smaller, better quality stalls with lower margins.

Yes, thats true for established events but for a new show you will attract better traders if you keep the commision to nil, if you need help with the costs ask for a donation from profits but setting pitch fees will deter a lot of people, especially smaller, better quality stalls with lower margins.

That's a good idea - thanks. :)

Well, I've got a headline band confirmed: http://www.spaceritual.org/

and 5 support acts so far. I should get confirmation on use of the proposed site next week (fingers crossed) and then the advertising campaign can begin - ha ha!

Currently speaking to sound people and local traders re. having stalls on site. Anyone who wants to help-out (man the gate, show people where to park, put-up marquees etc.) will be paid in beer and get moved closer to the top of my Christmas card list ;)