Humber Pig, getting it ready for the season.

Having some problems with the brakes, it has been doing it for a while now, and seems to have got worse since i have rebuilt the master cylinder and servo.

The brakes on all four wheels stay on, the brake pedal is hard and the brake lights are on, it seems that the brake servo is remaining pressurised up.

When i rebuilt the servo, the small piston operating the air valve in vacuum chamber at the top of the servo with the diapraghm, was sticky, this was throughly cleaned and the small rubber diaphragm checked for leaks and that checked out ok, the main large cylinder had new seals fitted etc, and the big diaphragm seal was good, just required a clean.

Can somebody confirm where each of the vacuum hoses come from on the engine and go to on the servo, there was a fairly hideous hose bodge which i have sorted out, but it hasnt improved things too much.

Any ideas? the only thing i didnt change was the tiny seal on the piston in the air valve part of the servo, but it wasnt bad, and it got a good coating of brake rubber grease prior to re-assembly........

I havent had much time recently to play with the Humber, however went out and took the "Pipe air Inlet" (No.9 in the diagram)off at the servo end, and gave it a blow through to make sure it wasnt blocked etc, seems fine, runs up to a banjo connection between the Air filter and the carburettor, giving a very light vacuum when the engine is revved up, as expected, so no problem there.

I think bleeding the brake servo and brakes while engine is running so the servo comes into play, may get any remaining air out of it, but im not sure that would be causing the problem? im still going with the "Valve Piston" (No.4 in the diagram) not backing off, whether its because there is air in it, or it's sticky i dont know, i do know the diaphragm was good.

Are the seals for these servos still available? i found a source of seals for the slave cylinder on e-bay, which i fitted, but the originals werent bad in the first place, however the small Valve Piston seal remains elusive.

• 1 month later...

Adam, did you have to do anything other than wash it to prep the old paint to be painted over? I have a Mk 2 thats been painted gloss white. The paint is good and thick and I plan on using a Marine Corps Semi-Gloss that comes in either gallons or spray cans. I plan on using the spray cans personally but was going to possibly sand blast it to prep it better for the paint. Did you prime or were you able to just paint over?

I jetwashed it, then rubbed down anything vaguely flakey or bubbling and then washed it down with a degreasing detergent and gave it a good rinse, let it dry thoroughly and then painted.

Its still looking good now, no bubbling or lifting, personally id give it a go, if its shiney bust the shine with a scotch pad or similar to give the paint a key.

Im not too bothered if it flakes a bit, as it will look authentic, i have driven plenty of service vehicles with most theatres camouflage flaking through on them.

• 11 years later...

Good evening.

I am wondering how your refit back to Mk1 spec has gone? I have just bought a Mk2 and have been planning to undertake the same journey as yours. I have a old R216 surveillance receiver (East German Border surveillance stuff) I plan to put in it for starters.