HotBed

just thought i would ask before i throw it in the bin,

i was given the other week an ex RAF jacket, green in colour with hood

jacket foulweather RAF

8415-99-135-7761

size 170/90

B.I.L

CT4B/1037

as it was raining today and i was working outside all day i thought i would wear the above, within 30 minutes i was wet through

i dont know if the jacket was like this when the RAF had it, if it was i pity the poor b##ger that had to wear it:-(

was these jackets like it from new ? or has the proofing worn off/can you get some

regards

just thought i would ask before i throw it in the bin,

i was given the other week an ex RAF jacket, green in colour with hood

jacket foulweather RAF

8415-99-135-7761

size 170/90

B.I.L

CT4B/1037

as it was raining today and i was working outside all day i thought i would wear the above, within 30 minutes i was wet through

i dont know if the jacket was like this when the RAF had it, if it was i pity the poor b##ger that had to wear it:-(

was these jackets like it from new ? or has the proofing worn off/can you get some

regards

Graham,

The Army had foulweather waterproofs as well, not sure if they are the same. These were jacket and trousers, I had a set issued to me, the problem was that they did not breathe and you got wet inside from perspiration, this might be what has happened to you, only as it has been rain cats and dogs today, it might seem like it is leaking.

hi richard,

definately not that, after i got wet i put my donkey jacket on and then the FW jacket over the top by 4 pm the d. jacket was soaked as well, i was only putting mole traps in the ground so it was not hard work

perhaps that is why it was surplus :-D

regards

we were given some of those jackets years ago at Duxford. They leaked from the word go, especially the overtrousers and if you have ever driven a Ferret in the rain you'll know exactly where the drip lands and why I paid good money for replacements that worked

As they are fairly standard pre goretex "waterproofs" you can re-proof them easily using the fabric waterproofer stuff sold in camping shops eg: Nikwax TX.Direct Spray On but its is expensive (around £15 per bottle) and given the price of surplus Goretex stuff at shows these days hardly worth bothering ?

I got an RAF (blue/grey version) goretex jacket (with detachable liner) at the Dunsfold show last year for £10. It's just as waterproof as my mountaineering jacket that cost me £450 (although the latter is rather better at other things)

If its the same as the one i was issued, they had a PVC coating on the inside, if it didnt condensate up inside, making your clothes wet, the PVC coating would crack or split and it would leak in.

They also done a DPM jacket trouser set, very similar and it was stiff, cold and would condensate up inside, it was rubbish stuff.

Fortunately i was issued the Goretex equivalent not long after, which was a big improvement.

People used to moan about the lack of pockets on the goretex C95 jackets, but they are designed to be worn under the combat jacket, protecting the goretex jacket, and leaving you with all the pockets etc, it was also quieter as the goretex jacket rustles quite readily.