Paint question

Gareth Coe

Question

I've got a new tin of paint, not from my usual supplier (long story...)

Anyroadup: it says on the tin "Product Type: 2K" followed by "2K PAINT COLOUR PRODUCT TYPE 2K - mix 1 part colour 1 part act 20% thinners"

Does this mean I need to add something (act = activator?) else as well as thinners? I've only ever used cellulose paint before, so this is all new to me. I'm sure one of you ever-so-clever chaps out there can help me :confused:

Confused of Colchester

(AKA Gareth :))

9 answers to this question

I've got a new tin of paint, not from my usual supplier (long story...)

Anyroadup: it says on the tin "Product Type: 2K" followed by "2K PAINT COLOUR PRODUCT TYPE 2K - mix 1 part colour 1 part act 20% thinners"

Does this mean I need to add something (act = activator?) else as well as thinners? I've only ever used cellulose paint before, so this is all new to me. I'm sure one of you ever-so-clever chaps out there can help me :confused:

Confused of Colchester

(AKA Gareth :))

Yes, as it says you should have got an activator with your paint. Go back and get it from the supplier. 2K means 2 pack in laymans terms

when I used it to spray my classic cars I used to use a british army gas mask!

Flashback to Osnabruck in the mid-80s.

The bathroom sink drain had been getting slower and slower. One evening, Wor Lass decided to take executive action. When a full bottle of bleach did nothing, she tried a full bottle of Domestos. Big mistake.

She wandered into the front room and said, in that innocent way women do when they know they cannot blame it on us, "Alien ... I think I have done something silly." She told me what she had done. I smelt chlorine. I leapt to the bedroom, grabbed my S6 from my Active Edge kit and it was on in the flash you'd expect after ten years' practice.

I went into the bathroom and shut the door behind me, then opened the window.

It was a hot summer night and apart from the respirator, I was wearing only cut-off jeans and flip-flops. I grabbed the plumber's mate, mounted the bath and attacked the sink with vigour. Then I looked up and out of the window ... to see my neighbour's wife walk by, looking in with an expression that screamed, "Whatever tickles your fancy."

The blockage was cleared, all vestiges flushed away and the window left open for half an hour. then I carried out a sniff test and reduced the NBC state back to Green.

Maybe you had to be there.

Not ALL 2 pack paints are the nasty isocyanate stuff. I used some on the 101 chassis that was safe just used a normal canister respirator and sprayed it outside.

Check out with your supplier what type it is before condemning it! You can also pick up decent respirator that'll do the job off ebay for not too much money. Just make sure it's the right type.

Flashback to Osnabruck in the mid-80s.

The bathroom sink drain had been getting slower and slower. One evening, Wor Lass decided to take executive action. When a full bottle of bleach did nothing, she tried a full bottle of Domestos. Big mistake.

She wandered into the front room and said, in that innocent way women do when they know they cannot blame it on us, "Alien ... I think I have done something silly." She told me what she had done. I smelt chlorine. I leapt to the bedroom, grabbed my S6 from my Active Edge kit and it was on in the flash you'd expect after ten years' practice.

I went into the bathroom and shut the door behind me, then opened the window.

It was a hot summer night and apart from the respirator, I was wearing only cut-off jeans and flip-flops. I grabbed the plumber's mate, mounted the bath and attacked the sink with vigour. Then I looked up and out of the window ... to see my neighbour's wife walk by, looking in with an expression that screamed, "Whatever tickles your fancy."

The blockage was cleared, all vestiges flushed away and the window left open for half an hour. then I carried out a sniff test and reduced the NBC state back to Green.

Maybe you had to be there.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: