Spitfire Mk1a AR213

As I write this at 01:53am, we have today ( Wednesday ), to finish the aircraft! It heads south on Thursday, test flights on either Fri/Sat/Sun, and in the crate heading to Florida on Monday for the Top Gun competition in early May.

We finished at 1:15 this morning, and now pretty much only have the cockpit to fit out with all the details. I'll get some more pictures taken once the 'office' is kitted out.

Steve

It's finally gone to its owner today, with an expected test flight tomorrow or Sunday. After that, on Monday, it should be in a crate heading to Florida for the competition. So here's a few photos of the finished aircraft.

Cockpit viewed through the door.

instruments.jpg

Pilots harness fixing behind the seat.

harness.jpg

I wasn't there for the test flight which occured down south, although I have seen a video, but here's a report from Phil who was there.

"All the usual checks required for the over 20kg scheme were performed and went without a hitch. The initial test flight plan was to fly a simple 5/6 minute flight simply to prove 'it flies'. No sound system was used, this was just a take off, fly round, land.

Take off proved good, she tracked well and the oleos were working well soaking up the undulations in the grass strip. She got airborne earlier than I expected but was accelerating OK and gaining height so the gear was tucked away immediately. The 1st small issue was immediately evident as she was sitting a little tail down and as a little sensitive in pitch. We'd balanced here quite conservatively, but it was obvious a little more nose weight was required. On full power, top speed was good for scale, but as soon as the nose was pointed up, she struggled. 12 inches of prop pitch was definitely not enough. I guess I'm used to IC engines that unload in the air and generate more go. Electric motors don't do this, they just pull less current, so next time out, more pitch is definitely needed.

We knew she was heavy for her size, so slow flight had to be explored immediately, so on the 3rd, maybe 4th circuit, Al backed right off the power as he turned into wind. Soon after she started to drop, but upon applying power, nothing happened. More power, still nothing. She was now doing a pretty good impression of a flying brick dropping earthwards rather fast. Nose down, gear down, haul on the stick; land. The big 3 blade prop by this time was a giant windmill causing a huge amount of drag, but even in this configuration, she showed no nasty habits of dropping a wing etc., so at least that's reassuring to know.

The landing was hard and bent one axle and oleo (wing & gear mount totally undamaged thankfully), left a few grass stains on one wing tip and a few on the prop as she came to a halt up on her nose; all rather undignified.

We wheeled her back, popped the cowl and I felt the temps of both motor and ESC. Both were warm but neither hot. We left it a couple of minutes and opened the throttle again; perfect, it ran up and down with no problems. Cells were removed and were showing 71% charge with good balance between the cells. Our conclusion therefore was either an over current or an over temp on the ESC."

A more powerful 300AH speed controller has been sourced to hopefully solve the power cut out problem, some more nose weight will be added to bring the Centre of Gravity forward a little, and the prop pitch will be upped for more speed. Further flights are likely in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted.