Modern british Living History display needs you!!

sas pinkie

Hi guys,

I am starting up a new living history group called Soldier 2000. The aim is to put on a display that rivals that of the vietnam and second world war groups (aim high I say), but with a modern British Army theme.

I intend to display a number of wolfs including a WMIK and other land rovers (plus anything else that anyones got and wants to add) and to setup a display depicting an exercise HQ duing the year 2000, that includes the inside of the tents also being steup correctly for display, as this is an area that the early periods do well, but seem to be missed by the current modern groups. That means soldier 95's SA80's, clansman radio gear ect ect.

I have the tents, I have some of the kit, I have vehicles, what I need are people that wish to join in.

I am not planning on running this to strict, no starting starting at 6am for first perrade rubbish. All that i ask is that you are prepared to help put up, and pack away the display, and that whilst the public are in, that you dress correctly. othet than that, you are free to do as you wish. I plan to keep it relaxed and fun and light hearted, after all, if it isnt fun, then there is no point ot it. No muppets need apply.......lol

I will be displaying at the bunker bash as my first show, if you fancy giving it a go, come along there and try it out, or pm me for my details and we can have a chat.

Edited by sas pinkie
Change in title

Please dont take this the wrong way.But what would be the difference in your display,and a set-up by the regular army who attend shows?. I cant really see whats wrong with your previous display.Its a theme and has history.Same can be said of Rolling Thunder. Not much of a theme or intrest regarding current kit,unless you tie it in with a conflict. Afganistan,Iraq etc. Like i said dont take it the wrong way. I'm here to be edgumicated.

The modern army when attending shows run it as a recruiting and information exercise. They have weapons set on tables, vehicles parked in car park fashion, large display boards advertising BE THE BEST Ect.......

I plan t oshow the british army from 9 years ago, as it would have been in the field. They were then involved with both the balklands and Sierra Leon at the time so still of historical interest.

I plan to show how the british army actually appear when in the field. So for example a 24x12, with tables in the middle with maps and order strewn across them, perhaps a white board or two on easles with call signs of current patrols recorded, and with records of cotact reports recorded.

A 9x9 with an FFR attached with all the radio gear present. another 12x12 with cook trailer in, with a second 12x12 with table and chairs set up as a scoff house. ect ect.

The current displays of modern (by modern I mean say from the 90's onwards) british kit tends t ofocus on the vehicles, the tents tend to be all shut up and people cant get close.

Any of you remember around five years ago what the 5th Airborne display was like, thats the sort of thing I plan to do.

Hope that helps. Dont worry, you wont offend me and all thoughts are welcome.

I seem to remember reading something (maybe on another forum?) about having to be careful wearing current uniform as that is a breach of the law. Or does it only apply to Officers uniform? If wrong on this, happy to stand corrected. But I would not want what sounds like an interesting idea to go sour. Anyone more knowledgable know if this could be true?

I seem to remember reading something (maybe on another forum?) about having to be careful wearing current uniform as that is a breach of the law. Or does it only apply to Officers uniform? If wrong on this, happy to stand corrected. But I would not want what sounds like an interesting idea to go sour. Anyone more knowledgable know if this could be true?

We have had no problem when taking part in official Army events, like the Queens Pageant & TA100, they even badge as up as Blues & Royals for the Queens Pageant... even with other events we have done with the TA & Regualrs no one's ever said we should not be wearing uniform... if they don't want us to wear it they should stop putting it on the surplus market...

Of course it would be a different matter if you strut around pretending to be in the Army...

Looking forward to seeing your new display at the Bunker Bash in May...

Edited by Marmite!!

The modern army when attending shows run it as a recruiting and information exercise. They have weapons set on tables, vehicles parked in car park fashion, large display boards advertising BE THE BEST Ect.......

I plan t oshow the british army from 9 years ago, as it would have been in the field. They were then involved with both the balklands and Sierra Leon at the time so still of historical interest.

I plan to show how the british army actually appear when in the field. So for example a 24x12, with tables in the middle with maps and order strewn across them, perhaps a white board or two on easles with call signs of current patrols recorded, and with records of cotact reports recorded.

A 9x9 with an FFR attached with all the radio gear present. another 12x12 with cook trailer in, with a second 12x12 with table and chairs set up as a scoff house. ect ect.

The current displays of modern (by modern I mean say from the 90's onwards) british kit tends t ofocus on the vehicles, the tents tend to be all shut up and people cant get close.

Any of you remember around five years ago what the 5th Airborne display was like, thats the sort of thing I plan to do.

Hope that helps. Dont worry, you wont offend me and all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks for the info. Do you intend on having armour as well for the display?.Always adds that something special to a display.I guess with the new venture its the end of the SAS Gulf display?.

I would love aromour, but dont own any, so it would be a case of someone joining up that already owns it.......

I was only one of 12 people that did the gulf war sas display..... they will continue as normal.

Cheers.

NOW...

Anyone actually want to help me? he he he.....

apart from my prefered period, I was thinking of getting a late 20th century uniform set up aswell, got to be RAF Regiment though!!!!I will be at Bunker Bash with my own display set up (1980.s), perhaps we could talk?

Mark

Chevpol..... sounds good, come and find me and we shall chat

Chris.... now there is an offer too good to refuse. I am not too worried if you cant make all the shows, some are better than none...... and remember, living history groups get into the best shows free, and often get the best spots reserved for them, no need to get to these places quite as early....

Living History Groups have a Specific Defence under s.2(1) The Uniforms Act 1894 (c.45), which states:

2.(1) It shall not be lawful for any person not serving in Her Majesty’s Military Forces to wear without Her Majesty’s permission the uniform of any of those forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform: Provided that this enactment shall not prevent any persons from wearing any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play performed in a place duly licensed or authorised for the public performance of stage plays, or in the course of a music hall or circus performance, or in the course of any bona fide military representation.

It's actually very rare that the Act is upheld, but when it is, there's normally other damn good reasons why it's invoked. Hope that clears that one up :)

Obviously "bona fide military representations" do not extent to the journey to and from shows or posing in Motorway services stations.

Wearing current uniform in these circumstances may attract the attention of the Police.

What do you mean by 'current uniform'? DPM trousers? DPM jacket? Green T Shirt? I can't see why the police would be interested in anyone wearing these items. You can get them in every single surplus shop. You can get similar patterned clothes on every high street. I see people wearing these kinds of things all the time, and none of them are in handcuffs.

I have a current MOD 90 anyway, so that isnt going to be a problem.

If you have a good reason that is legitimate, then it isnt going to be a problem. Travelling too or from a military show is going to be a good enough reason. Its much like being stopped with de act or replica weapons in your vehicle. if you are just going shopping, then expect greif, if you are going to the military show, and have your entrants documentation to prove, then that is a reason why you have these in the car and end of problem (as long as they were correctly covered and out of sight......)

So... now we have I think covered that up, who whishes to help me.......lol

Hmm. MODF90, eh? Here's a new wrinkle you might like to check up on then: I believe there's a current DCI(Army) regarding the wearing of uniform by serving soldiers (regular and TA) at non-MoD-run/approved military-themed events. You may want to check with your Unit Admin Officer, and if necessary, get the green light off the OC before proceeding.

Hey Karl,

You came to my house and bought the Radio table a few months back, I might be able to bring the Wolf to the odd show, would be a welcome change to the usual WW2 stuff.

Cheers

Colt

Where abouts are you?? try & get along & meet up with Karl at the Bunker Bash in May.. you can download a form from our website... www.bunkerbash.co.uk

Already done mate. He is fine, as long as he hears nothing that brings it all in to a bad light.......

Heh, cool :) Nice to find a boss with common sense ;)

So, who wants to help me.........Or are you all just going to fill this thread up with legal wranglings? lol

LOL - check sig ;) :rofl:

Wolfy - Yes mate, Come along to Bunker Bash and see what its all about. We shall chat there, and I can show off my new WMIK.

Roger - mmmmmm Bloody Monkey, Remember lads, show em your swaztika impression, and let em see the soles of your boots....... :rotfl::whistle::thumbsup:

I know all about PTI's.....grrrrrrrrrr.

The last one I met wore short sleeve order to show of his big arms, dispite it being October, and he was just a little too keen to go running on Browndown beach front for my liking...... the phrase, "Jog on.....Sir", was used quite frequently......