Ferret B60 Dry Sump Drain Plug

Toolman

Question

Hello Guys

I wonder if I could pick your brains again.

What size it the sump plug on the Ferret Engine Dry Sump? I bought a ferret sump plug tool, which is the correct size for the Gearbox and trans Box, but the drain plug is smaller an the Engine Dry Sump.

Also, where could I get the said drain plug tool?

Cheers

Matt :-\

9 answers to this question

Hi,

I have just measured my Saracen sump plug. The spanner is a tapperd square from 0.700" A/F to 0.760 A/F. The square hole in the plug is 3/4". So the easyest thing to do is a bit os 3/4 square steel bar and use a 3/4 openended spanner on one end and the other end in the sump plug.

Hi Andy

Thank you for looking. The sump plug on the Ferret has a hexagon recess. I've just checked the ferret again with the clarke set. The 1/2" hex nearly fits, it's just a bit too small, but the 14mm hex is just a touch too big. In metric terms is seems to be about 13.5mm. I should have taken my imperial calipers, i'll do that next time I go up to the ferret.

Matt

Hi Andy

Thank you for looking. The sump plug on the Ferret has a hexagon recess. I've just checked the ferret again with the clarke set. The 1/2" hex nearly fits, it's just a bit too small, but the 14mm hex is just a touch too big. In metric terms is seems to be about 13.5mm. I should have taken my imperial calipers, i'll do that next time I go up to the ferret.

Matt

Matt,

Sounds like it might be 9/16" hex, why not try the head of a 3/8" unified bolt in the plug ( head will be 9/16" AF), if it fits, weld a piece of bar on it to make a wrench.

could you use the 1/2" hex with a spacer or shim of some kind ? like a thin strip of metal either hammered to fit around the hex or inserted on a couple of sides of the hex to help tighten up the fit ? Perhaps it was originally 1/2" but is now worn ?

Today involved changing my ferret oil, only had 12 & 14mm hex bits so just introduced the 14mm to the bench grinder and now it's a snug fit in the sump and the outer wheel stations. Used a drill pump to empty the majority of the sump via hosepipe and a shopping crate was easily enough under the rear and none went in my hair Mick !

51190001178_e4d755807d_b.jpg

Edited by AmmoMan
confused sockets and bits :)