Restauration of AEC Matador

Sigve

Hi,

Can anyone help with information on the inside of the bed of a AEC Matador currently under restauration?

dscn3664e.jpg

dscn3663.jpg

Have some of the details, but seems like somethings are missing?

regards

Sigve

Edited by Sigve

Hi,

Can anyone help with information on the inside of the bed of a AEC Matador currently under restoration?

Welcome to the forum Sigve. I'm sorry that I don't have a photograph of the interior of a Matador gun tractor but I thought you might be interested to see this picture of an artillery body mounted on a prototype AEC Militant Mk 1 in the early 1950's. Although, slightly different to what was eventually built on production Militants, the inside layout maybe very similar to what your Matador originally had. This photograph shows how much structure is needed to provide seating for the gun crew together with stowage lockers.

sc000244ef.jpg

As you will know, relatively few Matadors have survived with original, intact bodies but I'm sure some have. Let's hope someone can post some pictures of what the inside of your body would have looked like......... I'd be interested to see them myself. Are you a member of the AEC Society ? What information do they have ?

It looks as though you are engaged in a fascinating restoration project. Would you like to consider starting a blog as I'm sure there would be a lot of interest if you did. The link below will take you to right section of the forum. Cheers.

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Looking at my plans by David E Jane that looks nearly spot on though on the O/Side where that single break man seat is it is show as a rifle rack for10 rifles and the spare wheel on the same side to the rear. Just a note the two bench seats each had one lifting section to allow you past through the side door. Sorry my scanner isnt working

DSC00269.JPG

Thanks for your reply 6x6 and morris c8 fat,

This Matador belongs to a small museum in Norway: Rogaland war historic museum (www.rkm.no.com sorry only in Norwegian). It was bought some Mont's ago. The add was posted her on the forum:

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=9557&highlight=Matador

It is in drivable condition and has not been modified since it was sold from the Norwegian army in the 1970.

The configuration of the bed is slightly different from your drawing morris. The spare wheel is on the other side. Rifle rack is on it´s place tho. We need to rebuild the benches

Here is a picture of the bed (as found):

bilde011d.jpg

Sigve

Richard Hughes,

Nice photo. Third position of the spare wheel that I have seen. Is this due to modell or different producers?

Do you have more pictures of your Matador? Would be interested in details of the benches.

Here are some data on our Matador:

bilde007.jpg

dscn3246n.jpg

Sigve

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Please keep us all up to date with your work on this Matador (body) and let us know when you have updated the photo site. I am currently doing this myself at the moment and your body has a few more fittings than mine, so it is quite useful to me to see your pictures. What years is this body and who made it. Mine is a weymans made in 1944 and looks just like yours, although mine is in better nick. keep up the good work.