Getting a deactivated firearm proofed

MP40

Just had to look up and check this. From the Police National DatabaseQuestion

Q319

What are deactivated weapons?

Answer

A deactivated weapon is a firearm that has been rendered incapable of discharging any shot, bullet or other missile and has consequently ceased to be a firearm if:-

• the weapon bears a mark which has been approved by the Secretary of State for denoting the fact that it has been deactivated

AND

• that company or person certifies in writing that work has been carried out on the firearm in a manner approved by the Secretary of State for rendering it incapable of discharging any shot, bullet or missile.

The marks referred to above are,

• Crossed swords with DA and the year round them for the Birmingham, Proof House and
  • DA over a sword and the year for the London Proof House (there are only these two proof houses.

Every deactivated weapon must also have with it a certificate stating that deactivation work has been carried out on it.

Deactivation differs from conversion in that a converted weapon may still fire but a deactivated one may not.

I think you will find that you can not hand in a weapon to any RFD you will find that some RFD are only permitted to deal in section 5's and some can deal in section 1's

so find out what catergory yours falls into before you get into more bother you can

do the work yourself and submit it to the proof house but if not upto current standard

you risk loosing it just my 2pennyworth as I understand the law but I am sure if wrong

someone will soon post and correct me

Commander

I think you will find that you can not hand in a weapon to any RFD you will find that some RFD are only permitted to deal in section 5's and some can deal in section 1's

so find out what catergory yours falls into before you get into more bother you can

do the work yourself and submit it to the proof house but if not upto current standard

you risk loosing it just my 2pennyworth as I understand the law but I am sure if wrong

Commander

You can not do the work yourself.. unless you have a lfirearms licence as it's illegal to hold the firearm in the first place..

Commander

I THOUGHT THIS THREAD HAD BEEN EXPLANED IN DEPTH!

I also offered, if you are having difficulties, PM me & I can get this item 'Done' & certified.

Why is it STILL being persued please? :confused:

• 2 years later...

Hi guys

I know this is an old thread but I noticed this whilst looking for some info on purchasing a neutralised or deactivated sub machine gun from France. After reading this I'm with the understanding that this may be a mistake to do but unfortunatly the weapon I'm after is very rare in the UK but there seems to be a few for sale in France. How would I go about importing one here and who can I contact to do so?

Regards Russ

hi

just got a query on this thread maybe some one could put me right on my thinking

the uk is a signatory member of the international proof commision

which includes germany so surely german de-acts as long as its got there deactivation proof marks on it.

should be legal in this country ? as we recognise all there proof marks

small-logo.png

Maybe...

It seems to be a grey area: there was a chap on the wwiireenacting forum who wrote to the Home Office last year for clarification and very interestingly they stopped short of giving him a straight yes or no answer. However, I for one wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a test case to decide whether or not you were guilty of attempting to import an unlicensed / prohibited firearm...

BTW. A little note on terminology: whilst deactivation markings are added by a Proof House, they are not 'proof' markings. By definition a deact cannot be proofed.

Last year I was contacted by a collector in Germany interested in two UK de-activated Artillery pieces I had for sale,For him to import the guns I had to do more de-ac work to comply with German regs,one part was a meter long cut up the bottom of the barrel :cry:. Uk spec is not sufficiant in Germany !

Rob..................rnixartillery

We are a signatory (And so are Russia) but the government are reluctant to pursue a legal case against someone as if they loose, there will a flood gate opened and we will see thousands of cheap deacs coming into the country. At the moment they are happy that scare tactics are working (As long as they dont take someone to court).

• 2 months later...

might be nice to note to dutch collectors, uk deactivation with certificates aint legal in holland.

i went to court and got done for it. deact brengun and sten mk3 where to be destroyed, i asked the judge to donate it to a museum.

rules are: gun cut lengthwise and both halfs welded on a plate with no parts moving.

my question about those things in the uk:

i own a .22 lee enfield rifle and a .38 S&W, can a gun dealer import them and deact them for me?

could they be made in blank fireing weapons? and with a collection can i have a collectors license for my entire lot (bayonets, deact rifles and some daggers?)

thanks,

Arjan

The .22 would be no problem, you can import that live on an European firearm certificate. Be a waste to de ac it. The bayonets etc , can be owned in UK. The .38 S&W pistol though is definitley a no. Though you can own it if you live in UK you can't pocces it. Though agin if you have a European certificate for it in your country of residence, it becomes very complicated, because the certificate is recognised . A Registered Firarm dealear can get it de ativated for you though. You would need to contact UK Customs and Excise to get advice on any paperwork needed.

Edited by Tony B

hi

just got a query on this thread maybe some one could put me right on my thinking

the uk is a signatory member of the international proof commision

which includes germany so surely german de-acts as long as its got there deactivation proof marks on it.

should be legal in this country ? as we recognise all there proof marks

small-logo.png

The Difficult area I can see here is the wording on a Brit Deact cert. 'A mark approved by the Secratary of state' I think it says. I do not have a cert to hend right now, so cannot check imediately.

I agree with the comments on us being a signatory in the EU. However, each country has it's own spec, I belive in Germany MGs have to be inparts, but if it's put together, it MUST be welded into a Mount like a Tank ranging gun mount?

SMGs have to welded so they cannot be field stripped, but CAN have moving action. It's all Pick & Mix it would seem!

As we recognise EU ,members PROOF markings, I am puzzled about the non conformatify on Deact Specs!

But again, I hear the London Proof master is continuously working with the EU Proof Houses commitee on getting legislation in line. For ALL countries to be the same. God help us if it is ALL tightened up so that eveything is welded solid as the UK Government would LIKE to see accross the board!..........

Notes on the bottom of a de-ac certificate Please Not: (A) This certificate is an important document: it should be retained by the owner of the gun at all times.

(B) The main componets of the gun to which this certificate relates have been marked with a Proof House inspection mark: Theses marks must not be removed or altered.

The proof house herby certifies that work has been carried out on the firearm described below in a manner approved by the Secratary of State under Section 8 of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 for rendering it incapable of discharging any shot, bullet or other missile.

Well done Tony!

There you go! If it HASNT got the Proof House Markings on it (GB) it is GENERALLY treated as a 'Live' Firearm.

IF it has the UK cert with it, it is DEEMED to be Deactivated.

The Firearms act on Deacts then contradicts itself as it mentions deactivation: 'By any other means'.........

I personaly would not like to have to go to court on a 'questionable Deact myself, I have to say!

IF, you have a GOOD Lawyer, then it migh be worth a go! But it would cost you, & there ARE guidelines for

judges to follow on this subject.

It IS a VERY complicated area of Law & one which even our Beloved Police force, admit to not being totaly conversant

with! the GENERAL & Safe rule of thumb seems to be: 'If it's got a Cert, then it is CONSIDERED Deactivated. Unless proven otherwise'!

My Own expirience with having worked VERY closely with the Proof House over the years is. It is the Deact Proof house Markings that 'Make' the weapon a Deact. The Certificate is purely evidential.......

I am not sure if the UK will ever fall in line with EU specs on Deacts, ours are probably MORE than sufficient to cover the

Subject area as they are.

VERY IMPORTANT: It is not only De-Ac firearms require a proof mark! A modern weapon, and any weapon capable of firing any of the .22 cartridges fits the requirment, and will require proof marks. I know from experience that firearms that have spent thier time in the military may come out with out Proof Marks! If the firearm is then passed on or sold in UK, with out the marks, you are very deeply in it! Again the Proof houses can be very helpful and will arrange the firearm to be proofed.

Not every country Proof Marks so if you are importing, be careful!

i know the dutch don't proofmark de acts, semi and full automatic is chopped in half lengthway and welded on a steel plate.

bolt action is drilled through the barrel welded through and through. the bolt is welded on the inside of the gun, basicly no moving parts and no paperwork for the works needed up to 2005.

there is a thing called a collectors license in various grades that allows you to have more freedom.

be wise and not learn the hard way like i did.

cheers,

Arjan