Collection of WWII British vehicles

abn deuce

In the foreground are two Morris Comercial CS11/30 30-cwt trucks. To the side are more Morris-Commercials, this time what are probably CS8 15cwts. In the background are Rolls Royce armoured cars.

I'm surprised this photo is 1940. It has a late 1930s feel to it. Were R-Rs still in use at this time?

In the background are Rolls Royce armoured cars.

I'm surprised this photo is 1940. It has a late 1930s feel to it. Were R-Rs still in use at this time?

My late Father-in-Law drove Rolls Royce Armoured cars in the desert for the RAF during WW2. I think this was 1940-1942 period.

a maintenance depot photo with a verity of British Military vehicles in back row Armoured cars please comment and identify

Airforce & Army - British & Egyptian Date taken: 1940 Photographer: Margaret Bourke-White

BritishVehicles1940.jpg

What a great pic. :) Cheers for posting it.

Last pics are definetly Fordstons. Re built RRs most if not all served with the RAF No2 Sqn ACC (Armourd Car Company) Apparently most of the work was taken out by Thomas Cook. Yes the holiday one. In Cairo around 1939 there were about 20 produced and they were used by No2 ACC as part of HABFORCE which was involved in the defete of the Vichy-French in Syria. But there normal tasking was scouting ahead of the main columns and capturing enemy airfields apparently due to the fact that the light armament would cause less damage thus speeding up the time to get the base operational again for the new owners. The Scarff ring anti aircraft mount was similar to those fitted to the old fighter bombers of the time and could be fitted with either single or twin Lewis guns.

more Armoured cars

British & Egyptian Forces British Army armored cars getting mechanical maintenance at camp in the desert nr. Cairo.. Location: Maadi, Egypt Date taken: July 1940 Photographer: Margaret Bourke-White

Britisharmouredcars.jpg

A batch of interesting photos of British vehicles in WW2 the first taken at Haynes garage in Maidstone one of many used to service military equipment, seen in this photo a Bedford OY, Austin 8hp 2 seater and Austin Tilly. Behind are various 3 ton trucks including i think aCrossley IGL 6x4.

The second is a ordanance depot early in the war depicting masses of vehicles in the park, the van in the front looks to be a requistioned Guy, to the right a Ford AA tractor unit others i can make out in the distance are Bedford OX 30cwt Austin 3 tonners, and Humber utilities.

The third i am sure is taken at Howe barracks in canterbury (not sure if was named that during the time) at what i would call round the back in Military road. It has now been built up with the county court house and civic centre plus others but i remember it looking similar to this photo in the 1960s when delivering to building works then starting here but then again i maybe wrong, anyway vehicles include Ford WO1A, Guy Ant, Ford WOT3 30cwt and CMP 3 ton trucks

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

hmvf3.jpg

les,

is that an american gi in the middle of the last pic, all the rest are brits

regards

First thing that caught my eye , definitely American uniform and kit, water bottle on right hip, carbine on left shoulder. Where the hell did he come from?

Last one I have of armoured cars , perhaps these vehicles that have been identified should have a seperate thread ? I leave that to the Mods.

what are these and what would their era be ?

Men overhauling armoured cars at Curragh Camp. Location: Ireland Date taken: 1941 Photographer: William Vandivert

ArmouredcarsIreland1941.jpg

These are interesting vehicles in service with the Irish army.

The story goes that in the late 1931 Comdt. Joseph V Lawless of the Armoured Car Corps suggested mounting hulls from obsolete Peerless armoured cars on a modern 6x4 chassis. The Leyland Terrier T.E.2 was identified as suitable. Unfortunately, transferring the first Peerless hull was more complicated than expected and the front hull had to be redesigned. But the first version was ready for testing on 10th September 1934. On 12th February 1935 it was examined by a specially convened Board of Officers who recommended that the two Peerless turrets be dispenced with and a single turret installed. In 1935 a further three Terrier chassis were purchased and in February 1936 the Dept of Defence proposed equipping them with the same turrets as fitted to a recently delivered Landsverk L60 tank. However the job of building the cars took longer than expected with the last not being finished until March 1940. The cars were:

ZC 773 (chassis TE 9418) - preserved at Curragh Camp

ZC 774 (chassis TE 4673) - preserved at Tank Museum, Bovington

ZC 775 (chassis TE 9419) - scrapped in 1960s

ZC 776 (chassis TE 9417) - preserved at the Transport Museum, Howth, Co. Dublin

The Leyland exercise was supposed to be a cost saving measure but it became obvious that it would be more costly than expected and so the decision was taken to purchase new vehicles off-the-shelf. Having purchased four Landverk turrets for the Leylands it made sense to purchase similarly equipped vehicles if at all possible. So, in December 1936, Major Lawlor and Comdt. Lawless travelled to Copenhagen to inspect new Landsverk L180 armoured cars that had recently entered service with the Danish army. They were fully satisfied as to the suitability and performance. A note in 1937 records, "...Swedish cars much better than anything we could do ourselves. British are still experimenting. No standard cars adopted. There is an immediate need for 2 cars. We cannot wait for British to make up their minds...".

So, two Landsverk L180s were ordered in March 1937 at £12,000 plus £900 for the supply and installation of two Gambrel radio sets, enabling the cars to communicate with aircraft as well as each other. The cars were delivered in early 1938 and given the registration numbers ZC 757 and ZC 758. A further six (ZC 5837 - ZC 5842) were delivered in early 1939.

(Source: Irish Army Vehicles - Transport and armour since 1922 by Karl Martin)