Ross Kemp in Afganistan

Lord Burley

I dont know if anyone on here managed to watch both the two series on Sky1,with the last one finishing on sunday?. I would just like to say that my opinion of RK has gone up after watching the series.I think he done a lot of justice for the British soldier serving there. he spent some time at headley court and seeing the rehabilitation work going on.How that fella survived being blown up in that Viking is beyond me.There was nothing left of it.the series ended on a sad note with the death of Marine Travis Makin,while RK was only a few hundred meters away.That program was dedicated in his memory.A great series that truelly deserves an award,and a :thumbsup: for Kemp in portraying the work our armed forces.

You can see the whole series on youtube.A bit laborious.But its available there.I remember chatting to my cousin before christmas(42 commando) Had regular contacts on a daily basis.Not long completed a third tour.Told him he is on a short straw with luck if he does a forth.

Unfortunately I missed it on Sunday but I know it's repeated during the week so will catch it then.

I've got the first series on DVD and have seen almost all fo the second series. In my opinion the second is the better as he's even closer to the action. You really get to feel what it's like. It also shows the real respect not only the he has for the guys and gals, but also the respect they have fo him.

Definitely worthy of an award.

Total repsect to all out there and also to Sky for giving us a real insight.

Behind the scenes many of our TV personalities - some who only ever get a bad press - are quietly doing a lot for the troops. Did anyone see the Millies hosted by the SUN?

RK earned my respect after the first episode of the first series. Over Xmas I had a son , his partner and a daughter in law all deployed on Ops the 2 in Basra got lots of presents both from organisations and from members of the public.

In the run up to Xmas 2008 The MoD tried to stop Joe public from sending parcels to un named service personel but it back fired: At the point when there was 15,000 packages sitting in a sorting office in London they relented and got then shipped to Iraq and Afgan,

One of the sponsored packages everyone was supposed to receive was a tin full of fantastic little gadgets the kids understand RK was behind much of the contents of these. Headley Court brought back many memories, I was ic the rehab workshop there in 1985/6, thank fully I just caught the tail end of the Falklands casualties, but there are terrible accidents and injuries going on even when we are not involved in major operations. It was beyond doubt the most rewarding job I had in my service.

TED

I agree with the consensus here, but ...

Particularly in series 2 episode 1, we find a section in a ditch with rounds passing close overhead and a corporal (IIRC) nannying RK, cameraman and soundman.

I had a strong feeling that this man's day job (and his life) was being put in jeopardy.

I understand what RK is doing and it's quite laudable. However, I'd feel a lot happier if the three-man crew joined the TA and learned the job for themselves.

At the start of series 1, we saw RK with an L85A2 on the ranges, not allowed to zero it because as a civvy he was not allowed to fire the rifle but as a last resort he might pick one off a body. His results, predictably, were very poor. To quote the DS, "Kemp. Zero out of 20. SAS my arrse."

If they were to join the TA they could carry their own weapons, they would know the drills and be less of a burden on the regular members of the patrol. And they'd get paid for it.

Everybody wins.

His results, predictably, were very poor. To quote the DS, "Kemp. Zero out of 20. SAS my arrse."

Think you will find he passed the range test & he wasn't the lowest score of the day.

Not how I remember it - but I could be wrong. My memory suggests the DS went off a lot more at one squaddy who got 12 out of 20. They were infantry (Angle-Irons, like RK's father) after all and converting live rounds into holes in targets must be priority number 1.

The DS's quote was indisputable though.

Folks just a heads up. This is a great thread and it could get political so please don't add/make any political points as it will get pulled and we don't want it too.

Many thanks,

Jack.

In a way I agree with the fact that MR Kemp could put young mens live on the line, but not so. After spending a few weeks over the last year Photographing MRXs on the ranges, media peeps are inbedded with the troop training. Prior to Ross being sent to Ganny he spent a bit of time on the Plains getting to know the Reg he was attached to. I was asked last month weather I would like to go out to Camp Bastian for a three week tour taking pictures of the next Regiment due out......... It was a big call for me and turned it down in the end. Most folk think I am barking but at the end of the day I have far more important things this end to think about. WIFE, WORK and I'm scared of flying.

In a way I agree with the fact that MR Kemp could put young mens live on the line, but not so. After spending a few weeks over the last year Photographing MRXs on the ranges, media peeps are inbedded with the troop training. Prior to Ross being sent to Ganny he spent a bit of time on the Plains getting to know the Reg he was attached to. I was asked last month weather I would like to go out to Camp Bastian for a three week tour taking pictures of the next Regiment due out......... It was a big call for me and turned it down in the end. Most folk think I am barking but at the end of the day I have far more important things this end to think about. WIFE, WORK and I'm scared of flying.

How much were they paying - and is the vacancy still open?????

What a shame. Hopefully I am not being naive, but I'd love to go. Knees and wife allowing! So probably not. It's a young man's game. I am not so much Steve Austin as Steve Trabant.

M

Neil, the wages are $*&, the food isn't much better and as for the hotel, well the least said about that the better...........

Wages-wise mate it's got to be better than what I'm getting now!!!

As for the food and the hotel - I survived basic training camps in the Army when they really were basic, training, camps.. NOTHING can be worse than them...... :):)