Purpose of steel plate on bumper of WARD LA FRANCE

The bumper itself is an unusual shape on the Ward La France. My guess is the bumper was used to push recover other vehicles. Those plates may just be there to protect the vulnerable wings behind.

If as Mark suggests they're for markings, why not just put them on the wing itself which is at the same angle?

The bumper itself is an unusual shape on the Ward La France. My guess is the bumper was used to push recover other vehicles. Those plates may just be there to protect the vulnerable wings behind.

If as Mark suggests they're for markings, why not just put them on the wing itself which is at the same angle?

Ah ha - Norman - you have given me an idea.

ustruck110.jpg

Although this picture clearly shows markings on the plates - it doesn't mean a thing. I could show you just as many pictures where there are no markings.

However, as Norman pointed out - the Ward does have an unusual bumper.

It was called the "tree-buster." Obviously designed to push down trees etc. Now common sense would dictate the metal plates were designed and placed to stop branches etc from slipping up over the bumper and under the wings and as Norman said - to stop damage from occurring to the wings and fragile engine components.

How's that for a common sense guess.

Markheliops

Yes Mark, I'd go with that idea of guiding branches etc onto the wings and not under them.

My personal view of the WLF bumper is that it a spectacularly useless design - only good when using the whiffle tree thingy.

No decent towing fitment in the centre, and the one that's there would pull straight out of the flimsy pressing with any decent load. As have a good many that I've seen.

So mine is going to have a 'stonking great bit of channel' hidden full width behind and welded to the centre lug for those bigger skin-off-a-rice-pudding jobs.....:cool2:

Yes Mark, I'd go with that idea of guiding branches etc onto the wings and not under them.

My personal view of the WLF bumper is that it a spectacularly useless design - only good when using the whiffle tree thingy.

No decent towing fitment in the centre, and the one that's there would pull straight out of the flimsy pressing with any decent load. As have a good many that I've seen.

So mine is going to have a 'stonking great bit of channel' hidden full width behind and welded to the centre lug for those bigger skin-off-a-rice-pudding jobs.....:cool2:

Perhaps that's why the design hasn't appeared since?

Hello

I think that STORMIN is right. On WWII american truck there is no specific part mounted only for to have a marking (a star as showed on the previous pic). So I think that the purpose of these steel plates was to protect the mudguard when the truck was pushing an other truck or trees.

I had soon asked to some owner of WARD LA FRANCE but nobody was able to give me an answer.

regards Serge