"Daisy" or "Rust Bucket" depending on who you ask in our house !

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooohhh progress....excitement.....Getting there slowly...looking forward to the next installment in 2012:-D

Cheeky ! You've got me all concerned that the reality of having a Scammell on the road won't live up to my dream ! Might just find a big display cabinet for "WHEN" she's finished and just look at her before bedtime ! :nut::nut::nut::D

Bloomin Scammells, they are a pain in the arse......getting your hopes up the kicking you in the nuts when you least expect it. I don't know what the facination is myself.........Oh hang on that's it they really are great fun to drive and have a huge grin factor.....:-D

Good to hear your making progress Andy. :D

No, he hasn't actually done anything, he only posted that picture because he has been reading everybody elses posts and didn't want to be left out. Been too busy with the non serious stuff like working, getting married spending time with the kids etc :D:D:D

No, he hasn't actually done anything, he only posted that picture because he has been reading everybody elses posts and didn't want to be left out. Been too busy with the non serious stuff like working, getting married spending time with the kids etc :D:D:D

:rofl::rofl::bow::bow: Wise words mate ! You know exactly how it is ! :D:D:D

• 5 months later...

:embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed: More than a little embarrassed to give an update after such a long break but another year has flown past and still no Scammell on the road so here is what I got up to today ! Cleaned up the remaining brake pipes and engine oil pipes ready for painting , In the style of Blue Peter I have included a picture of some I prepared earlier ! The painting WILL happen tomorrow ! :D More shed time should also help loose the extra weight I am carrying since Christmas ! :D

DSC01273 (2).jpg

DSC01274 (2).JPG

DSC01278 (2).JPG

DSC01281 (2).JPG

Some more.

The colour shot of me impersonating a struck match, is I think, but will be corrected a Constructor tipper in mint condition which had been loved and cared for by a unit, about to be cast and sentenced to life in a Welsh quarry, and it all seemed to happen in unreasonably quick time. Probably my distrusting nature.

threenine (3).jpg

fourthree (3).jpg

fourthree (5).jpg

fourthree (6).jpg

fourthree (9).jpg

threefive (5).jpg

threefive (6).jpg

File0002.jpg

Interesting photo's indeed FEC and sorry as I'm about togo off topic.

I always find photo's like this interesting to see what is going on in thebackground. In these ones we can see DUKW hulls on stilts, a DUKW with wheelsstill attached and also a Leyland Martian.

Can you go into any more detail about these FEC? If so might be worth startinga separate thread.

PS Andy - Good to see you are cracking on with the project again!

Hi Smithy

I have a bunch of photos gathered from various sources, mainly folks who worked at FEC over the years. I was at FEC for 15 years and in that time the list of vehicle and equipment types varied widely, but revolved round the main business of Antar's Stalwarts, Saracens, Humber's, Bulk and flight refuelling, Fire Crash (Alvis and Thornycroft), Recovery vehicles, Artillery limbers, Earth moving, Mechanical Handling, Mine planting, Mains Generating and all sorts of surprises that would arrive in boxes . In prior years DUKW, Scammells of all types, Chevrolet, White half track and Scout and Hippos to mention just a few.

Would love to gather more photos for publication.

Probably to combat the years of Command Workshop types who rubbished FEC. Maybe because we got the work done.

threeseven7.jpg

Hi Smithy

I have a bunch of photos gathered from various sources, mainly folks who worked at FEC over the years. I was at FEC for 15 years and in that time the list of vehicle and equipment types varied widely, but revolved round the main business of Antar's Stalwarts, Saracens, Humber's, Bulk and flight refuelling, Fire Crash (Alvis and Thornycroft), Recovery vehicles, Artillery limbers, Earth moving, Mechanical Handling, Mine planting, Mains Generating and all sorts of surprises that would arrive in boxes . In prior years DUKW, Scammells of all types, Chevrolet, White half track and Scout and Hippos to mention just a few.

Would love to gather more photos for publication.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55242[/ATTACH]

Probably to combat the years of Command Workshop types who rubbished FEC. Maybe because we got the work done.

Thanks for the extra information. By the sounds (and looks) of it your photo's deserve a thread of their own.

Well thats a valuable lesson for me ! Never tempt fate ! As I walked up to the shed and noticed water coming from the bottom of the door ! Opened the door to be greeted by 2 inches of muddy water inside ! It appears that where the council have resurfaced the alley it now drains through my garage ! Not very good for the things stored on the floor ! Spent today moving lumps of Scammell and heavy tools to allow the clean up to comence ! Had to refigure the storage of parts I've restored to keep them above high water mark until I sort out the drainage ! Had a move around of some of the locker timber to give me some more space to work in ! Did the old back the world of good !:nut: Now its stored on the patio I'll have the added incentive of Hayley mentioning it on a regular basis when the Sun comes out !:D

DSC01288 (2).JPG

DSC01292 (2).JPG

DSC01294 (2).JPG

DSC01296 (2).JPG

DSC01297 (2).JPG

DSC01301 (2).JPG

DSC01304 (2).JPG

DSC01307 (2).JPG

DSC01308 (2).JPG

I'd be asking for a rebate on the council tax, for that. Sue them for every penny, damaged equipment, kids toys ruined, patio going all green. Absolute disgrace etc.etc...Write to your M.P.

Mind you, I've just had a thought. Don't bother. You are in the class of normal, tax paying, working Englishman, you wont get a penny!! :D

Yeah, you could do without that mate, complain very loudly, they are not allowed to discharge water onto someone else's property, it will lift you slabs when it freezes for a start!

Send them a bill for pumping out, you know where to get one from!

Sorry to hear that Andy but as Bernard says complain very loudly to your council highways dept and your local councillor, they should jump through hoops for you.

Thanks for all the advice fellas but I like to keep a low profile with the nice people from the council as they might not like my garden ! If you get my drift ! :angel: I think I can sort it with a bit of a drainage ditch filled with gravel which I think is called a " French gulley" :D Oh and I hope to paint the pipes Saturday now ! This is the main reason I dream of a more rural Scammell/family home one day to be able to get on without too much red tape !:D