Blackpool seafront MV's

Smithy

• 1 month later...

Saw an old cinema newsreel about Blackpool the other day, it showed a much modified jeep towing an ice cream trailer.

There was also footage of a bren carrier loaded with passengers going out to a boat and returning.

Saw an old cinema newsreel about Blackpool the other day, it showed a much modified jeep towing an ice cream trailer.

There was also footage of a bren carrier loaded with passengers going out to a boat and returning.

its good footage that , we have a log book somewhere for one of them jeeps

its good footage that , we have a log book somewhere for one of them jeeps

I vaguely recall the vehicles parked up on the seafront in the 1970's when we came for the illuminations but was more interested in the trams. We came up most years for a period. The last time I would have been perhaps age 14.

Is that footage, or indeed any other, online somewhere?

• 1 year later...
I haven't found the slides of the Morrises on the front at Blackpool yet but have found pictures of one of the Southport DUKWs that have also been mentioned in this thread. It's a B&W print that I've scanned but I recall the DUKWs were red with a yellow stripe. This picture was taken in 1990 or 1991.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50195[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50196[/ATTACH]

Just spotted this on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUKW-WW2-AMPHIBIAN-TRUCK-2-5-TON-6x6-wwII-wartime-amphibious-duck-/161978850691?hash=item25b6b11d83:g:mDsAAOSwG-1WweJI

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

Joined up here when I found this thread about the old wagons on the Prom at Blackpool. We spent a lot of happy Saturdays at Blackpool between '67 and '75. I loved these old lorries as a kid, and would always get Dad to fork out for a boat trip we didn't really want so I could go on the wagons!

As well as those shown here there were at least two Commers painted orange, and a Morris water tanker still in army green.

Here's a few photos, in the one of me looking very innocent in '67 there's a Willy Jeep very far in the distance.

Blackpool%20001_zpsuycuxswt.jpg

Sadly a leaking roof in 1980 destroyed all my photo albums, and I lost at least 20 more pictures of the Blackpool lorries, and the negs.

I've got a good few more military show pictures from this era though, so I'll post them up.

Cheers

Chris Warr

Hi Chris, and Welcome.

Thanks for the pictures - I for one will also be interested in seeing the MV show pictures from the 1960's.

As an aside to the MV's at Blackpool, I have a friend (Alan Smith) from that area whose father was in the LRDG during the war, driving the trackless desert. Postwar, and for the rest of his career, he drove the trams at Blackpool. Aside from the sand, very different.

Best Regards,

Prof

in the early 1970s on the isle of sheppy i saw a dukw over a fence, had a look closer it was the back of a pub, got talking to to a guy who turned out to be the guvnor of the pub he had just bought it from hewitt marine and was going to ferry customers across the swale never went back dont know how he got on

in the early 1970s on the isle of sheppy i saw a dukw over a fence, had a look closer it was the back of a pub, got talking to to a guy who turned out to be the guvnor of the pub he had just bought it from hewitt marine and was going to ferry customers across the swale never went back dont know how he got on

That was at Harty Ferry. Years ago it was one of three ferry crossings to Sheppey. This one packed up in WW1, the guy tried to resurrect it but I think it flopped.

I have a feeling that there was an article either on here or in Windscreen mag that the Morris C9/B had been saved and was being restored back to miliary spec.

I really do hope so. I can't imagine there'd be much left after all those years in and out of the sea, but it would be great to see one of these wagons restored. There were 3 or 4 C9's if I recall, at least one of which had a horrific square wooden cab built on.

Cheers

CW.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi All, fascinating to find this forum and the various posts/photographs of what I know as "The Blackpool Jeeps".

As a Midlands lad day coach trips to Blackpool were an annual occurrence (either in summer or later for the illuminations) and I remember these vehicles from the mid-1970's until they finally disappeared in the early 1990's.

I was always intrigued by them and even as a youngster (born 1973) I knew they were old and probably ex-military.

I have a few photographs taken in 1991/1992 which I will dig out of my loft if there is any interest although by that time they were sad relics under rotting tarpaulins.

I actually inquired about them at the Life Boat station in 2018 however none of staff knew what I was talking about!

Thank you :)

• Like 2