Earths...

Earth (Ground) is another name for the Negative side of the battery..

Not quite Lee, many older vehicles were wired with positive earth and the feeds were negative. Posh vehicles such as mine have insulated (wired) return rather than using the steel chassis. :)

Edited by radiomike7

Not quite Lee, many older vehicles were wired with positive earth and the feeds were negative. Posh vehicles such as mine have insulated (wired) return rather than using the steel chassis. :)

I know that, I was just trying to keep it simple for Jack...:-D

Yea! Come on Lee - keep up :coffee:

For example your indicator problem may be a poor earth - i.e. the wrigglies might be getting to the bulb but there is no path for them to get from there back to the battery negative post via the steel wing/chassis and an earth strap.

You are relying on good elecrtrical metal-to-metal contact on each panel joint (e.g. wing-to-chassis then chassis-to-cab then cab-to-gun ring mount and then to your crocodile clip :-D) in order for your indicator return/earth circuit to be complete.

You might find it is earthed ok to the chassis, so with a new earth strap the problem might go away.

A simple multimeter will enable you to check - by putting one end on the negative side of the bulb holder (if there are 2 wires going to the bulb) or direct onto the metal bulb holder (if there is only 1 wire going to the bulb) and the other end on a known good earth (like your jump lead :-D) you should get pretty much zero resistance (i.e. no ohms).

And in some vehicles of WW2 and after eg Matador, Foden etc. They had 24v starting and charging and 12v lighting. half the lighting load coming from one battery, half from the other.

The centre point of the two systems connects to the chassis, so when considering one battery you have negative earth, but from the other battery's perspective it is a positive earth system... ie one set of lights runs 12 volts below chassis potential, the other lights run at 12 volts above chassis potential... Okay Jack?

Edited by antarmike

To fit in with the rest of the worlds automotive industry!

Although it was claimed that we used positive earth as some components corroded less readily. Although I'm not sure if that is true as it is usually the positive terminal that becomes more corroded than the negative.

Not a major point but, at the time of the change, it saw the reduction in the use of PNP transistors which were most conveniently configured in a positive earth circuit. Whereas the new NPN transistors lent themselves to a negative earth arrangement.

Edited by fv1609