Libya / WW2 Tank unearthed at construction site

Kuno

That is the drawing number for the cast plate, the M4A4 glacis plate being made of 3 castings and 2 rolled plates. The LO2569 is the heat treatment applied to the casting.

The serial number is only found on the towing lugs and under the data plate on the sponson next to the driver. Do not look on the front towing eyes as this tank has had a single piece front fitted which is not correct as original fitment for an M4A4. The rear towing eyes are the easiest and best place to look. The number is stamped on the top face, usually in the style of 2 rather than 23456

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Barrell

Kuno,

Further to Adrian´s postings, please read Sherman serial numbers on my web page.

Attached are two pictures of serial numbers on rear towing lugs; first one is T211 stamped on the towing shackle boss of a Grant M3 Medium Tank. Second picture shows 18903 stamped on left rear towing shackle boss of an M4A4 (converted to Sherman VC Firefly).

Hope this helps, would be great if you could get the number. Take along a wire brush!

- Hanno

serial_tow.jpg

GRANT%2028012009%20123.jpg

Adrian,

Heat treatment of the armour.

All that fabrication on the front glacis plate would bugg*r up the properties of the rolled armour, so was the entire plate (once fabricated) heat treated before being welded to the rest of the hull? All Steel castings have to be heat treated once cast otherwise they have mechanical properties not unlike cast Iron :-) Thus I'd presume that the M4A1 hull had to be heat treated, I'd love to have seen some manufacturing photos! I'd also presume that M4A1 hulls were cast in green sand molds burried in the casting floor, I've seen this at Forge Masters when casting 'nodes' for Offshore Platforms - great fun. I've also seen them cutting 12" into the castings to get to porosity and then build it all back up with weld!

Alastair, short answer is I don't know..... The welded assemblies (hulls)were not heat treated after fabrication but whether the sub-assemblies were?

In the sadly now defunct AFV Interiors site, there was a lot of fascinating photos from Chryslers M4A4 production line showing all stages of assembly but I have never seen pictures of castings though I too assume they were cast in floor pits. On many castings you can see where the mould has been cleaned up with a trowel but I do not know how many units you would get per mould or whether the cores were re-used or not.

You can understand why they switched to the cast front on the last M4s, this must have been quite a cost / time saving compared to the earlier fabricated ones.

Book.

I've just finished a brief read through the 'Sherman Firefly' book by Mark Hayward (a model builder at heart). If this thread or the others knocking around have got your intrest light on I'd recommend it - most logical and 'academic' Sherman book that I've read - not cheap though. I'll send in a review when I have read every word:coffee:

The composite hull was more for ballistic reasons than one of cost or else there would have been more M4A1s.

Mark Haywards Firefly book is excellent and he also runs an online addenda which is frequently being updated as new information comes to light. It is a very good book though and I highly recommend it.

There was no doubt that it was an M4A4 though it is good to get the number.

The small plate at the back of the turret ring is a double edged sword as early M4A4 did not have it and late Chrysler built M4 did. It's presence is not conclusive of an M4A4 and it's absence is not proof it's not. A useful clue none the less.

Serial number 9085 was built at the end of March 1943 and probably had a reg. number of USA 3060895. Joe DeMarco could confirm the latter.

There is a chance that 9085 should be 19085 as there is a jump in the serial numbers, again Joe would know.

Didn't the late Chrysler built M4s have the cast front? If they all did then frontal ID shouldn't be too bad. Like you say nightmare, when I first got a WW2 armour intrest in the early 90s I would walk around the back of a Sherman before making any descision as to what model it was (M4A1s accepted!) it's the most decisive way if your not looking through photos.

Can I summarize as follows:

A) Sherman M4A4

B) Production date: March 1943

C) Converted to GM Twin Diesel Engines as the Model M4A2

D) Chrysler manufactured

Further:

E) Due to late production date the tank did not reach North Africa during the Desert Campaign. First use was only in Italy

F) Such type is known to be converted by the French and to be used by Egypt

G) It was obviously used for target practising before it was abandoned in Tripoli