Rolls Royce armoured car

les freathy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I can think of six survivors and one replica. Who wants to have a guess at where they all are?

Tim (too)

Bovington

RAF Regiment museum (the former RAF Hendon one)

India

seen a replica posted on a forum which wasn't a particularly good one, can't remember where based but pretty certain it was private

The Original cars had wire spoke wheels, they were changed to solid disc wheels as time went by then very late on to split rims and some had a fitted door in the drivers side.

They were used in the desert at the beginning of the second world war but proved to be very out dated.

some great pictures and stories to be found here http://www.rrec.org.uk/Cars/Rolls-Royce_Armoured_Cars/Armoured_Cars_in_Action.php

All this reminds me of a very funny story, among a lot of other very funny stories, in a book called "Unofficial History" by FM Sir William Slim (plus lots of letters after his name), in the chapter titled "Elizabeth Succeeded Henry".

It's about a Rolls Royce armoured car troop in Mesopotamia and a cunning troop leader.

Jack

Serious????

Is it in Ireland?

Tim (too)

I can vouch for the existance of this, but am not prepared to say anything regarding its location out of respect for the owners privacy. It is however in good condition, safe and dry stored.

Interesting stuff. I am aware of five surviving Lancias. Three in Ireland, two over here, although one of those is just a rolling chassis. One of the ones in

Ireland is complete with the armour and nets etc, but as it is a bit of a controversial vehicle it is kept hidden away to prevent it getting torched. A shame. The running one in the UK is an ex RIC one but was civilianised in the 1920's.

Tim (too)

• 1 month later...

This one is definitely a runner and is pretty much as original, the owner is after a rear wheel, one of the wheels from the double wheeled axle was missing when he got it, and the Lancia radiator badge has also gone the distance.

If anybody knows of such items, PM me and i will let him know!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Don't know if the next site was known to anybody ,but there where alot of RR armoured car pictures on it.

rolls royce interior

But not the ones i'm looking for.So maybe anyone here has one of the top of the turret with the scarf(?) ringmount for the lewis gun

Jor-AC1-May1941.jpg

cheers, Tom

Edited by tomdekruijff