Another Pioneer

Jimh

A few more happy snaps. The lift pump is still messing around for some reason so it hasn't been driven very far yet.

A very nice job!:thumbsup: I had trouble with my lift pump, the engine would run ok, untill you asked for power, then it would just die, there turned out to be a split in the diaphram, fitted a new one and its fine now.

Alan.

• 3 weeks later...
Great job Jim, can't for the day when i can take ours out for a spin

Richard

Nice one Jim ! Thanks for the video link ! Smashing seeing her back on the road ! Excellent job and congratulations on a lovely restoration ! :D:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Fantastic to see it finished and a fabulous job you've made of it.

I'm nearly as green as the truck, with envy.

Quite like the plain look without markings, may go that way with the Ward.

It's always easier to change your mind later and add markings than remove them I suppose.

• 6 months later...

Jim,

I just in the process of putting the rad from my Scammell back together, and knowing you had yours apart i have a question.

I'm presuming you had new rubber gaskets made, but did you use any sort of sealer with them?

I'm using a silicone sealant to seal the rubber gaskets and as i do the joint up it seams to push the gasket out, its better since we took it all apart, cleaned it and tried again with less sealer, but is still a problem.

Can the joint be expected to seal with no sealant?

Have you got any pointers?

Cheers, Richard

• 1 year later...
One last thing - I spent rather a lot of time when I should have been doing money earning work recreating the instruction label which goes on the top of the engine cover. There was some traces of this left on ours but very little so this was taken from the earlier brass plate that Niels posted on here a couple of months back.

The plan is to have it printed as a water slide transfer - I've had this done for a few things in the past and they print very well. I'll get the two little ones which go on the bulkhead telling you which neutral to use done in the same way.

However, I have never seen a complete one so can anyone comment on the accuracy of it. This is just a quick and dirty conversion to a wee .jpg image so the colour isn't right. Thoughts?

Has anyone got a photo of what it should look like?

3906446906_326a4d9b25_o.jpg

SHEWN:confused:

That threw me a bit as well Mike but its what was written on Niels' plate that he was good enough to photograph and send me a copy of. A little research in the oxford dictionary leads me to believe this isnt a typo but in fact as it would have been written back in the day.

[h=1]shew (shew)[/h]

Pronunciation: /ʃəʊ/

[h=3]verb[/h]

• old-fashioned spelling of show

I have just completed the artwork in Illustrator for an exact copy of the plate and will be engraving it on a nice piece of brass for my own 2 pioneers. Will put up a picture or two once done.

As for whether these plates were standard issue or not... Well both my pioneers have holes drilled on the the top of the engine cover which would be about the same dimensions as the plate on Niels' one so I wouls hazard a guess to say yes they were.

Nigel

As Andy says, a nice tidy winch rope. At the Workshops were I worked, we had a chap who would fit new eyes in the ropes for me, whipping the ends and binding them like that, much nicer to see than the swaged ends.

Just out of interest, how long would this take to do?

Nice to see such care over details, propper job!

• 9 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Blimey, is that our one? Looks a bit different. 😄 Thanks for them,

13 years after my last post what's been happening? We ran the Pioneer for another couple of years or so and various odds and sods got finished. The side curtains and seat cushions arrived and we collected various planks and tools to make it look more complete but the truth is that we just could not get on with it in the road. 

One Sunday morning we took it to some event on at the Riverside Museum and I drew the short straw to drive it through Glasgow. It was not the most fun I have ever had because you get to think about nothing else but that sodding gearbox. Whereas I was happy to drive the steamers for hours on end or in rush hour traffic I was absolutely knackered after an hour in the Pioneer. Just no fun at all. 

It sort of put us off old Scammells so we started a project to build another Sentinel Super because at least they were nice to drive and we needed something else to do. About 18 months into that it dawned on us that the Pioneer had not even been started in more than a year which probably meant it was time for it to go. A not exactly brassic lad in Holland bought it. These were some photos of it before the old girl went.

53044326873_70c4f1a5a1_b.jpg

53044326858_1faa2ffac7_b.jpg 

53043837876_6cc3b9c70e_b.jpg 

Funny, I kind of miss it looking through photos of it. I liked the way it looked and I loved that engine but just could not have any fun with that gearbox. I felt I got not bad at driving it but I was never going to find it easy. Ah well.

As for the Super in 2016 we started with a lot less than we got with the Scammell, namely this. The remains of the engine...

27089451725_bf3fc80b95_o.jpg 

And a few weeks ago it looked like this

52976474795_3a631420a9_o.jpg 

So that is nearly done. Despite falling out with the Pioneer we could still be tempted by an Explorer or maybe a Mk2 Militant. Does anyone know what is happening with all those lorries sitting in that yard in Auchtermuchty? 

• Like 9

• 6 months later...

It is hardly appropriate for this place so only one picture. This is the Super after the final finishing was done and the signwriter (Phil Anderson Signs: Highly recommended for all your skilled brush steering needs) had done his work. The sun came out for just long enough to take it for its first test run down the track.

53342983377_24ee9fc612_o.jpg 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...