1944 M4 High Speed Tractors

Jim Clark

The box sections on the hull were pretty rotten so I made new ones and welded them in before putting the new side in.

ALLISCHALMERSHST1056.jpg

ALLISCHALMERSHST1055.jpg

The mounting for the towing hitch was also moved by the previous owner,it had been fitted upside down beneath its correct position. I cut it off cleaned it up and rewelded back in its original position.

ALLISCHALMERSHST1059.jpg

jim.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK stupid question incoming............:whistle:

How do you know what goes where after you have stripped it back to just a hull. Do you label everything? I have a problem remembering where I put the flipping frying pan in the kitchen :undecided:

Edited by Jack

OK stupid question incoming............:whistle:

How do you know what goes where after you have stripped it back to just a hull. Do you label everything? I have a problem remembering where I put the flipping frying pan in the kitchen :undecided:

Not a stupid question at all, I dont label things as if you have taken something apart its just reversing the procedure. Having said that if the vehicle you are working on has been modified or chopped about ( like this one has ) it makes it a bit more challenging. If I get stuck I do have another untouched HST in the yard to have a look at.

Jim.

Forgot to say I do take loads of photos of stuff as I remove it, this helps routing cables and pipe work etc

Edited by Jim Clark
missing info

I had a new rear panel pressed up out of 4mm steel

ALLISCHALMERSHST1058.jpg

It was then trimmed to shape to fit the rear of the hull.

ALLISCHALMERSHST1060.jpg

I then marked out all the holes and fitting positions for the pintel hook, winch rope exit hole etc and cut them out using a plasma cutter.

AllisChalmersHST1065.jpg

AllisChalmersHST1064.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of the pics.

I cut all the fittings and fixtures off the old rotten rear panel to use again and welded these onto the new panel

Jim.

Last weekend I gave the hull 2 coats of red oxide and then top coated it in our own light olive paint. I have not refitted the rear panel yet because it is easier to get in and out of the hull to do all the fitting up.

AllisChalmersHST1067.jpg

AllisChalmersHST1068.jpg

When the paint was dry I fitted the transmission, this is held in with four 1inch bolts.

AllisChalmersHST1066.jpg

AllisChalmersHST1069.jpg

AllisChalmersHST1070.jpg

Jim.

Looking fantastic Jim and what goes on next?

Jack I am on step No4 now,

AllisChalmersHST1082.jpg

Glueing both halves of engine together, but I have run out of glue which has slowed things up a bit.

You did realise its 1-35th scale didnt you?

Im trying to down size with all this credit crunch thing.

Jim.

Jack I am on step No4 now,

AllisChalmersHST1082.jpg

Glueing both halves of engine together, but I have run out of glue which has slowed things up a bit.

You did realise its 1-35th scale didnt you?

Im trying to down size with all this credit crunch thing.

Jim.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• 1 month later...

Work has progressed on the HST since my last post, I have made all the hoses for the gear box and torque converter and fitted them.

ALLISCHALMERSHST1106.jpg

The air tank was like a pepperpot so I cut out the ends and had a new cylinder rolled. I then welded the ends back in plus all the other fittings.

ALLISCHALMERSHST1100.jpg

ALLISCHALMERSHST1102.jpg

ALLISCHALMERSHST1101.jpg

ALLISCHALMERSHST1107.jpg

The dashboard was rough so I stripped it of all swiches and instruments, sandblasted it then painted it.

ALLISCHALMERSHST1094.jpg

ALLISCHALMERSHST1097.jpg

All the switches and gauges were cleaned and checked and are ready to refit i will post more photos tomorrow if time permits.

Jim.

I cut the fittings from the old rear panel and welded them into the new one.

ALLISCHALMERSHST1104.jpg

This was then welded into the rear of the HST, and the towing pintle fitted along with the air brake palm fittings.

ALLISCHALMERSHST1108.jpg

ALLISCHALMERSHST1111.jpg

All the brake air pipes and cylinder have been fitted, I had to make new clamps to replace the old ones.

ALLISCHALMERSHST1110.jpg

ALLISCHALMERSHST1111.jpg

ALLISCHALMERSHST1118.jpg

The engine oil filters have been fitted along with the Torque converter fluid filter.

ALLISCHALMERSHST1121.jpg

The front bumper has been temporary fitted to its side mounts.

ALLISCHALMERSHST1113.jpg

I had new wiring looms made up, some to sell to other M4 HST owners and some for my own HSTs. I have fitted mine and had to make loads of "P" clips of different sizes to attach the loom to the hull. As you can see all the wires are the same colour but they have numbers on the ends of the cables to show where they fit.

ALLISCHALMERSHST1114.jpg

ALLISCHALMERSHST1119.jpg

Jim.