Bastogne, Dec. 2008

Enigma

Late last night I returned from Bastogne.

Our Dutch group joined another group of Britisch, Czech, German and Belgium re-enacters.

We portrayed the 9th US Armored. (Offcourse I am aware British forces also fought in the Ardennens...).

The others had brought a M8 Armored car, 2 halftracks, 2 GMC's and a couple of Jeeps.

Friday evening we recconoiterd a village for enemy activitie.

We were supposed to be "ambushed" by another group who re-enacted Germans but due mis-communication we never met them. I was a rifleman.

On Saturday was the march, we only did 9 KM's so we could return in time for the ceremonys in Bastogne itself. Met Joris along the way.

On request I portrayed a Medic because my back wouldn't be able to cope with the added weight of a Garand.

All weapons were decommissioned.

The ceremonys were a bit challenging because of the cold and static nature.

On Sunday we went to lay a few wreaths brought by the group. We also did a tactical excersize which was photographed by a professional Brit. who works for newspapers.

I was again a rifleman.

The weather;

When we arrived there was snow but no fresh snow fell during our stay. The march was adangerous because some parts were icy, I fell once, no problem though.

It did freeze and the wind made it colder. A lot of our transport was done without canvas covers. I was dressed warmly and only got painful/cold feet when we stationary or in the vehicles.

All in all we had a fun weekend keeping in mind the sacrifices made by the soldiers back then. I have gained extra respect for thge veterans. When we complained about the cold we realised back then they fought, suffered and lots died.

I'll send a few photo's along. I made only a few because the betterys in the camera were empty and the spare set only worked a few times when I kept them warm in my gloves.

Finally I wish all of you a very enjoyable holiday season and New Year.

Bastognewalk2008003Small.jpg

Bastognewalk2008007Small.jpg

Bastognewalk2008004Small.jpg

Lucky bastard, I fell like 7 times. Boy did I hate that icy trail, I even wrecked the stock of a thompson :(

mmmm strange, Enigma doesn't drink - falls over once. Joris does drink - fell over 7 times and breaks the stock of a gun. Am I missing something :coffee:

• 1 month later...
I've just been lent a dvd "WHICKER'S WAR", looking at the wartime exploits of Alan Whicker with the British Army Film & Photographic unit, as he followed the Allied advance through Italy. Will let you know....

This was once shown on TV great programme i am sure you will find it interesting.

Ashley